Meeting In The Jungle

PART FOUR -SUN MOON STARS RAIN-MEETING IN THE JUNGLE

EXT. THE BEACH - LATE MORNING - CLEARING SKIES

SNDFX: Sounds of the jungle echo; BIRDS, MONKEYS

The rain has stopped. The waves crash on the beach. The beach is littered with debris; tree branches, palm fronds, seaweed. Maggie, coughing, pushes herself up off the white sand and pulls off her life preserver. She stands and stumbles forward toward the treeline and collapses at the base of a tree. She rests for a few long moments and picks herself up and stands looking out to the open sea. She turns herself around and walks into the jungle toward the base.

EXT. ON THE TRAIL - LATE MORNING -LIGHT RAIN, CLEARING SKIES

Derek makes his way through the steamy jungle path, his bag in hand, his clothes drenched. Walking, walking...until finally...

SNDFX:Sounds of the jungle echo; BIRDS, MONKEYS

EXT. THE BASE - NOON - CLEAR SKIES, HOT, STEAMY

Derek stumbles into the old encampment, stops and looks around at the surroundings. The beach is directly ahead of him across an open area. A dilapidated Quonset hut is on his left, an overgrown airstrip to his right. Hulks of American military vehicles, jeeps, trucks, planes, are littered about. A few seconds later, the bushes directly across from Derek rustle, and Maggie appears. They stand and stare at each other, each not believing what they see. A few moments. Derek moves slowly to his right, and Maggie mirrors his movement. Derek counters to the left, and she does the same. The two stop and look at each other.

DEREK(dryly, suspicious): Where did you come from?

MAGGIE: Pittsburgh.

DEREK: No, I mean how did you get here?

MAGGIE: The tram. How the Hell do you think I got here?

DEREK: If I knew I wouldn't have asked.

MAGGIE(animatedly): Oh, this is going GREAT! My first plane ride, my first day on a boat, I wash up in the middle of a war movie only to find Cary Grant taking a walk through the jungle.

Derek frowns, puzzled.

MAGGIE: Well, are you just going to stand there and wait for cab or are you going to show us the way out of here?

Derek motions toward the trail. Maggie starts heading down the trail. Derek stays put. She gets a few paces and turns back to him.

MAGGIE: Well, aren't you coming?

Derek shakes his head and walks into the hut. Maggie, puzzled, follows him.

INT. HUT - NOON

The inside of the hut is littered with old furniture; a table, filing cabinet. There are cases of bottled water and canned food stacked. There are windows in the walls, and a large hole in the roof. Derek is pulling a bottle of water from the case. Maggie enters.

MAGGIE: Hey! What? What are you doing? Let's go!

Derek opens a bottle of water and nonchalantly hands it to Maggie. He pulls another out for himself, opens it and takes a long drink. She does the same.

MAGGIE: Is this your stuff? What do you do, camp out here?

DEREK: My stuff? Yeah, I guess you could say it's my stuff. Or it will be shortly.

MAGGIE: Oh, you've already got your bag packed. I'll just grab a couple of these and we'll go.

DEREK: I'm not going anywhere.