Chapter 1

The picture above is of the protagonist Atalie. This is how I envision her. You are free to envision her anyway you want.

**************************
A woman sat at a desk writing something on a piece of paper. She looked like she was so engrossed in writing that not even an earthquake could pull her out of her trance. Suddenly a young child came running from the bedroom. The child's momentum was such that when her foot slipped and she fell, a loud sound resonated through the room. The sound pulled the woman out of her trance and she went running towards the child. Before she could enquire about the girl's well-being, she got up and after dusting herself hugged her mother. The action brought tears to the woman's eyes. She couldn't believe that she had given birth to this marvelous child who learned life's lessons with such ease. She pulled the child closer and whispered in her ear, "Always remember, whenever in life you fall down don't cry. Simply dust yourself and right back into the fray of things. Always."

*************************
"Miss Atalie Rivera!" A stern voice broke the hold sleep had over Atalie and she sat awake with a gasp.
"Good Morning Miss Rivera!" Her science teacher Miss Coral Diego said with faux sweetness "So nice of you to join us in class this fine morning."

Atalie rubbed the sleep from her eyes only to see that she wasn't in her comfortable bed but rather in Miss Coral Diego's science class. Oh Heavens! She was doomed!

"So Miss Rivera is there a reason you are sleeping in my class or is it because you are simply bored?"

"Uh, actually, uh ma'am I didn't get much sleep last night so I uh-"

"Miss Rivera what is the first rule of my class?" Miss Diego asked suddenly, cutting Atalie off.

"Uh the first rule is that no student will sleep and/or laze around in your class." Atalie answered hesitantly.

"Right and what did you do? You broke the rule and therefore you deserved to be punished don't you think?" Again she wasn't asking she was telling. The faux sweetness in her tone simply irritated Atalie.

"I think a week of detention should set you straight. Oh and you will also be meeting Miss Sayyad after lunch today."

The thought of detention was enough to wake Atalie's brain from the haze of sleep and she quickly stood up saying, " No ma'am please! The University I am hoping go get admission into won't accept me if they see even a single detention on my record. Please I won't ever sleep in any class again but please don't give me detention." She begged Miss Diego with all she had but Miss Diego remained firm.

"Just because you are a straight A student does not mean that you do not face consequences for your mistakes. You will carry out the punishment or not set a single foot in my class for the remaining classes." Miss Diego told her with a firm clear voice. She was a no nonsense woman and valued the time of the class. She had never tolerated students disrespecting her by sleeping in her her class and she wasn't about to do so now. "Right class so where were we? I think we were discussing the properties of the Heterocyclic compounds right? Well let's continue."

Miss Diego continued teaching the class as if she hadn't just dropped a bomb on Atalie. And despite the pull of sleep she paid her complete attention in class for the fear of given a punishment worse than detention.

***************************
The next hour was lunch so after Miss Diego's class ended, Atalie went towards the cafeteria to eat a bite and prepare mentally for her slaughter. The very thought of Meherunissa or Meher Sayyad was enough to make her tremble. Everyone was aware about Meher and honestly why would they not be? That woman had managed to straighten out many misbehaving boys and girls with just a few sessions in her office. Her success rate was the reason for her scary reputation in school. All these thoughts ran through Atalie's head as she made her way to the cafeteria.