Chapter Four

The grandeur of the train is like nothing she's ever seen before. She's sure it's more of a culture shock for districts like twelve, but as someone on the poorer side of District Four, Juniper can't help but gasp at the sparkling chandeliers, plentiful bowls of fruit, and the finest silverware she has ever seen, so clean she can see her reflection in it.

"Yes, yes, it's all very grandiose!" Priestley claps his hands together, reveling in the exhibition of their class difference.

Waiting at the table in front of them, which is stockpiled with pastries and candies and sweets, is Hollis. As soon as she sees Arden she jumps up quickly, walking over to him swiftly.

"I told you to wait to volunteer until after someone else's name is called. It makes you look like a hero." She hurriedly whispers to him. He brushes her off casually, and nudges past, heading to go take a seat. He seems unbothered by the luxury, perhaps used to being treated with status as a facility kid.

"Oh don't worry your little head about it, it doesn't matter. I've caught their attention just by volunteering, it doesn't matter how I did it."

Everything matters in the games. Every breath, every word, every cough. Every little detail.

Hollis sighs, but follows him, sitting in her original seat.

Juniper trails behind awkwardly, looking around with childlike wonder. The table is set for six, three on one side, and three on the other. There is no head.

She feels a nudge on her back, and when she turns she sees it's Priestley, ushering her forward. "Now don't be shy dear, go sit with your new teammate. It's good for you two to get to know each other."

Juniper nods carefully, keeping that soft look in her eyes, and debates for a moment before pulling out the chair next to Arden, filling up one-half of the table. When she sits she smooths her dress and brings her braids to the front carefully. From the corner of her eye, she sees Arden shoot Hollis an amused look.

"Y'know what kid, I already forgot your name." Juniper's head snaps up like a deer in headlights when Arden speaks to her.

"Oh um, it's Juniper!" She lets her eyes brighten. "And I know yours! Arden!" She says it as if she deserves a medal for it as if she'll win his praise by not forgetting who he is. "You're very brave to volunteer. That probably took a lot of guts."

Arden tilts his head to the side as if he's talking to an eight-year-old fangirl who's just told him the sun shines from his ass. "Well thank you. Guess I just have the nerve most others don't."

What actually takes nerve is Juniper not rolling her eyes. Instead, she smiles widely at him and nods her head. "I bet! You probably got that from Hollis training you, huh? Passed along all the tricks?"

"I suppose so, yes."

Theories confirmed. "That's really cool! I always wanted to see the facilities."

Arden's smirk turns condescending under the surface, but enough for Juniper to catch. She had said she wanted to see the facilities, not train in them. A person must be naive to focus more on the grandeur than the skills you're taught.

Priestley starts to chime in. "Oh the facilities are lovely, but not nearly as nice as where you two are headed. Now I know this situation isn't ideal, but you do get to spend some time in the lovely tribute spaces, and you have access to full-time service and fantastic training quarters. Really, I don't think we could be doing more for you in preparation!"

He lumps himself in with The Capitol, creating an us versus them. He's widening the gap, perhaps trying to prove that he does belong in his position as one of the elites. Juniper just isn't sure who he's trying to prove it to.