Chapter 6 No Remorse

A relentless force within me beckoned, urging me back to the ominous Lilith Blvd. It felt like an insatiable hunger, a thirst for the forbidden knowledge that lurked within the shadows of the enigmatic bridge. Unanswered questions clawed at my thoughts—what dark genesis birthed this bridge, and by what infernal design did it possess the power to fulfill desires? The haunting echoes of a malevolent voice lingered, warning me of an impending regret, fueling my curiosity and drawing me back to the sinister bridge.

Pulling onto Lilith Blvd, I extracted John from his car seat, settling him into his stroller. The air thickened with an oppressive weight as I approached the bridge—a place where Dorris had once stumbled upon an otherworldly secret. The atmosphere turned sinister; a tangible aura of impending dread enveloped me. The wind, now an ominous howl, carried the scent of rain, and a chilling foreboding whispered through the air. Gripping John's stroller, an unseen malevolence tugged at it, urging me to reconsider my path. In a swift act of resistance, I lifted John from his confined space.

An unsettling stillness replaced his usual joy. Walking toward the edge where Dorris had met her tragic fate, the desire to unravel the bridge's enigma intensified. Lifting John into the air, his eyes betrayed a haunting knowledge, and tears streamed down his cheeks. Conflicted, I hesitated—what darkness had taken hold of me?

An unseen force compelled my arms back, preventing me from committing a monstrous act. It was as if Dorris's spirit, a guardian of innocence, intervened, shielding John from the malevolent intentions that gripped me. Slowly, I approached the edge of the bridge, a cold gust of wind murmuring ominous promises. The bridge's voice, a seductive yet haunting melody, whispered, "I'll tell you anything you want to know, give me an offering." I looked into John's eyes, kissed his forehead, and smiled. A sudden calm replaced his previous distress. With a heart-wrenching smile, I released him over the ledge.

A wicked, guttural laugh emanated from the bridge, reverberating with malevolence. Shivers ran down my spine as it offered cryptic answers to my questions but demanded an insatiable thirst for more.

"What would you like to know?"

"What are you? And where did you come from?"

"I am a deity, the death goddess, and a warrior. A skirmish on the battlefield left me injured, but that's a story for another time."

"Others? Are there more like you?"

"That's all I have for now. If you seek more, you know where to find me."

A newfound greed consumed me. The bridge had metamorphosed me, erasing any trace of remorse. The desire for another offering overwhelmed any semblance of my former self, leaving me on a dark path, unrecognizable even to the depths of my own soul.