Your Entitled Neighborhood Simpleton

Part 2

The tree guy

The sight of Kiri across the park felt like a misplaced comma in Ruka's meticulously planned sentence. He shouldn't have been there, not like this. Not as a college boy with sunshine in his hair and laughter lines deepening around his eyes, not after the whirlwind of their rental days and the bittersweet ache of letting him go.

Her heart, still mending from the jagged cracks left by Kazuya, stuttered against her ribs, a startled bird in a storm. Memories, both sharp and hazy, flooded her mind. Their awkward swings at the batting cage, the echo of his playful laugh bouncing off the metal fences, the shared discovery of their left-handedness, a quirky bond in a right-handed world.

But those days were over, painted in the sepia tones of a rental contract that had expired. Ruka had chosen solitude, focusing on rebuilding her own life, brick by careful brick. Now, this unexpected collision with Kiri threatened to send those carefully stacked bricks tumbling down again.

Yet, as she watched him from the periphery, a curious warmth bloomed in her chest. His smile, still as infectious as ever, reached his eyes, crinkling the corners like well-worn pages of a favorite book. He seemed different, somehow. Older, maybe, more confident, but the core of the boy who'd found joy in a shared swing and solace in stolen coffee breaks remained.

Was this the Kiri she remembered, the boy who'd seen past the charade of her rental smile and offered genuine kindness? Or was it a new version, molded by the trials and triumphs of college life, someone entirely different from the boy who'd held her hand, not because it was scripted, but because it felt... right?

The internal debate raged on, a tug-of-war between caution and curiosity. Could she open herself to the possibility of this new Kiri, this unexpected tangent in her carefully mapped journey of forgetting? Or was he just a ghost of the past, a reminder of love lost, best left undisturbed?

That night, Ruka lay awake, the shadows of doubt dancing on her ceiling. Her own Yanagi, sensing the turbulence in her sister's sleep, slipped into the room, her eyes a silent question. Ruka's hesitant confession tumbled out, a jumble of memories and conflicting emotions.

Yanagi, bless her pragmatism, listened patiently, then offered a mischievous grin. "So, you saw Cute Uzaki across the park and your world went haywire? Sounds like a classic case of a left-handed crush, sis."

Ruka groaned, swatting playfully at her sister. "It's not that simple, Yana! Kiri was... special. But..."

Yanagi cut her off. "But he's different now, and so are you. That's the beauty of life, Ruka. We change, we evolve, and sometimes, old paths meet in unexpected ways. It doesn't mean you have to go back to who you were, but you can't let the past hold you hostage either."

Her words, laced with empathy and a dash of sisterly teasing, resonated with Ruka. Maybe Yanagi was right. Maybe this wasn't about falling back into a past relationship, but about opening a new chapter with a boy who, somehow, was both familiar and new.

The next day, when she saw Kiri again, her smile held a tentative hope. And when he returned it, his own face mirroring her apprehension, the spark of possibility danced between them, a silent question hanging in the air.

Their connection wouldn't be a grand slam, a neatly scripted love story like the ones she used to playact. It would be a slow game of stolen glances, hesitant conversations, and shared moments of laughter and awkward silence. A game played not in the limelight, but in the quiet corners of their own lives, two left-handed souls writing their own story, one imperfect swing at a time.

The path ahead was uncertain, but Ruka wasn't alone. She had Yanagi, her ever-faithful cheerleader, and maybe, just maybe, she had Kiri, a boy who saw not a rental girlfriend, but a girl worthy of a genuine, unscripted love story. And as she took a tentative step towards him, towards this unexpected chance at happiness, Ruka knew one thing for sure: sometimes, the most beautiful curveballs were the ones that led you straight to home plate.

The two Yanagis

Ruka Sarashina felt a familiar tremor in her hand, but this time, it wasn't from a poorly struck baseball. It was the sight of Kiri Uzaki across the park, his smile catching the late afternoon sun like a wayward butterfly. Her chest lurched, a phantom script of "rental love" echoing in the dusty corners of her heart.

But this wasn't then. This was a park bench bathed in the soft glow of college life, not a staged apartment living room. This was Kiri, eyes crinkling with genuine laughter, not the boy caught in the web of her manufactured affection. Yet, the unexpected bump into her namesake, Yanagi Uzaki, his younger sister, only amplified the confusion.

Yanagi-Sarashina, ever the pragmatist, observed the silent war playing out in Ruka's eyes. "So, Cute Uzaki across the park sent your brain on a Ferris wheel trip, huh?" she teased, her eyes twinkling under the brim of her cap.

Ruka sputtered, "It's not like that! Kiri and I were... different then."

But the words held the weight of unspoken truths. Kiri had been a comfort amidst the storm of Kazuya, a melody whispered against the cacophony of heartbreak. But was he just a faded echo, or could there be a genuine harmony in this new, unscripted chapter?

Yanagi Sarashina, seeing the turmoil beneath the surface, offered a reassuring squeeze of her hand. "He is different, Ruka. And so are you. Life's funny that way – it throws sweepers that knock you flat, but sometimes, they lead you to home plate, too."

Her words echoed the oft- funny elder Sarashina's's advice from the previous night, a comforting chorus urging her to step into the unknown. Ruka, feeling a flicker of determination ignite, decided to face the music.

The next day, the park bench became their reluctant battleground. Hesitant small talk morphed into playful banter, the shared spark of left-handedness bridging the unspoken anxieties. YanagiUzaki, ever the strategist, observed from afar, a mischievous glint in her eyes.

"So," she announced, sidling up to Kiri later, "I hear you and that "Black Diamond" mentioned by mom had a delightful encounter by the pond?"

Kiri stammered, his cheeks mirroring the sunset's blush. "B-Black Diamond? She wasn't... it wasn't... just..."

Yanagi-Uzaki laughed, her contagious energy breaking the ice. "Relax, Cute Uzaki. We all know you have a thing for girls with killer swings and even better smiles. But hey, maybe she needs a little nudge in the right direction, too."

And so, Operation: Charm the Black Diamond commenced. Unbeknownst to the both, the Yanagi 'sisters' united by their namesake and a mischievous glint, became unlikely conspirators. Ruka received "subtle" coaching on park outings by his elder sister, Kiri was ambushed with casual game ideas that just "happened" to involve Ruka, and whispered conversations were rife with strategic planning like stolen baseball signals by her younger sister.

Their efforts bore fruit in slow, sweet increments. A shared ice cream dripping across fingers, a clumsy frisbee caught by two outstretched hands, the unspoken laughter echoing in the rustling leaves – these were their love story's opening verses, penned in hesitant smiles and stolen glances.

One warm evening, Yanagi-Sarashina found Ruka staring dreamily into the twilight sky. "Thinking about Cute Uzaki?" she teased, amusement dancing in her eyes.

Ruka sighed, a soft tremor in her voice. "He's... different than I imagined. Not just the boy playing a part, but someone... real. "

Yanagi-Sarashina smiled, "He is. And you are too, Ruka. This isn't a rental anymore. This is you, writing your own story, one awkward swing at a time."

Ruka felt a newfound confidence settle in her bones. Maybe "Black Diamond" could shed her past and embrace the girl falling for the boy with sunshine in his hair and laughter lines etched around his eyes. Maybe, just maybe, this unexpected melody they were composing, two left-handed souls finding their rhythm, could become their own unscripted love song, a slow ballad played out under the vast canvas of the twilight sky.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------