nine

Elvira was quieter than usual on the morning of the first task and Dorothea wondered if it had anything to do with Cedric. Priscilla had joked that, "at least he's easier to turn down if he's dead!" The atmosphere walking down to the first task's stadium was immense, Hufflepuffs were chanting Diggory! Diggory!, and every single student seemed to be in high spirits, ignoring Beauxbatons and Durmstrang students to join the Hufflepuff's chanting. Camille Rosier and Manon Lestrange were right behind Fleur Delacour, cheering her on, Dorothea had rolled her eyes at the sight, after listening to the pair bitch about her for weeks, it was a pathetic show of falseness. The Slytherins were walking down with Ravenclaws, and even chatting with some Hufflepuffs and Gryffindors, Hogwarts was, for the first time in years, united. For Cedric Diggory, that was, something much of the student body also had in common however, was thinking that Harry Potter was a complete and utter cheat.

"Round up, round up," they heard chants from behind them and Elvira giggled. The group of sixth year Slytherins turned around to see Fred and George Weasley taking money from people and handing out cards. 

Ezra Nott had an amused grin on his face, "are they..."

"Taking bets, sir," George Weasley said, tipping an imaginary top hat. "Right now, our odds are on Mr Diggory, care to make a bet?"

"Come on, Slytherins. We know you're all wealthy purebloods..." Fred started, looking straight at Dorothea Rosier. "Rosier, any bets to be made? I know you can afford it!"

Dorothea looked at Elvira's giggling face and couldn't help but grin slightly, she turned to Fred, a hand on her hip, and nodded.

"Alright, Weasley. Three galleons says Krum."

Fred took the money from her with an amused smile and stepped forwards, "I love taking bets from people, but I must say, taking money from a Rosier, that's the best feeling yet."

Dorothea smiled sarcastically and muttered back, "if that's the best feeling you've ever had, Weasley, I feel very sorry for you."

Priscilla and Lilith giggled as they handed money over to George, even Ezra and Marcus played along, joking with the Weasley twins and Lee Jordan. Dorothea had never seen such unity.

Oliver Wood stood watching from a little further back, he wasn't sure, as a prefect, if this was strictly allowed, but he wasn't about to stop his friends (especially since they promised to buy new brooms as soon as they had enough money.) 

When Elvira Jones handed over money to George, Oliver stepped forwards with a small smile.

"I didn't know Slytherins bet," he said to her as she stood watching Ezra and Marcus joking with the twins.

"I didn't know prefects did," she replied.

"Ah, they don't."

"Thea just did."

"Did she? Merlin, that'll be the talk of the bloody tower for weeks."

Elvira laughed, "who's your money on? Hypothetically speaking."

"Ced, and not just 'cause he's my mate."

The witch smiled and nodded, "me too."

"I-er- heard he asked you to the ball?"

She sighed, "yeah, he did."

"Waiting to see if he wins or not to decide?" He joked, looking down at the witch.

"Wood."

"Sorry," he grinned. "Slytherin and a Hufflepuff. What a bloody sight that would be."

She laughed at that, "perhaps too much of a sight."