Part 8 - End of the Prologue

Stern parked his car in the large car park in front of the police station. The building looked very different from the last time when he was still living in the town. He set off towards the glass doors. On the way, he passed several policemen running to the police car. He approached the door, but before he could pull on it, someone pushed it open, almost hitting him with it. Michael stepped back a tad to avoid the door and out from the inside came a young, well-dressed man who didn't even pay attention to Stern.

"It might be a good idea to at least make sure you don't hurt anyone by pushing through the door with such force." Said Michael standing with his back to the man.

"I beg your pardon?" replied the man retreating back to Stern, he grabbed the man's arm and turned him towards himself, at least he tried because he couldn't even pull him back "Did you say something to me?" he asked again with irritation in his voice.

"I told you to be careful because sometimes someone might return the favor to you." said Michael turning towards him "Personally I'm not fond of overly rich people, so if I were you I'd be glad we are in front of the police station." he smiled tauntingly.

" Oh, you're about to..." he paused as his phone started ringing, looked at Stern, muttered something under his breath and walked off towards the parking lot talking on his phone.

Michael walked inside, the station from the inside had hardly changed, it was maybe a little bigger, but the lobby looked almost identical, the definite difference was the amount of different plants, before when Parkin was sheriff there were maybe two or three flower pots standing here, now there were over ten. Leah loved nature and the outdoors, so it's no surprise that once she got full control of the place she decorated it her way. He approached the receptionist's desk, where a young girl sat going through some papers.

"Excuse me?" said Michael drawing her attention to himself.

"Oh, sorry, I thought he was back, how can I help you?"

"Back?" he asked.

"Our Honourable Gentleman. Whatever." She sighed rolling her eyes.

"'The guy in the suit?"

"Have you seen him? I feel sorry for you, I don't know how you can spend any time with him at all, unbearable he is, but never mind. Constable Dale, how can I help you?" she asked, rising from her chair and leaning on her desk.

"I'm looking for Mrs Sheriff, I have a matter for her," she said.

"Mrs Sheriff is busy at the moment, but you can come in later..." she didn't manage to finish.

"You can trust me that whatever she's doing can wait a bit, because my business is more urgent." he said walking towards the long corridor, then turned right towards Parkin's office when he was still sheriff, hoping that Leah had an office in the same place.

"Sir, please wait! Sheriff ..." the policewoman continued, trying to stop Stern from reaching the office, but she was unsuccessful'.

The man opened the door to the sheriff's office. Leah was sitting at her desk, her back turned to the door, talking to someone on the phone. When she realised someone had entered the room she said goodbye to her caller, and turned towards the door.

"Michael?" the woman said surprised.

"I'm sorry for the interruption, but I think we're all in a hurry."

"With what?" she asked, getting up from her desk.

Michael glanced at the policewoman gripping his coat and nodded in her direction.