Volume 8: Redemption Of A Lost Soul, Part 2

The Vengeful felt at his arm, and the wound had been completely healed. He leapt down to the crater left from Jaiden's explosion. He grabbed his nearly destroyed mask and put it on, before leaping on top of another building. His purple aura glowed as he ran from each rooftop to the next, finally landing at a part of the city that was completely demolished. The damage seemed recent, with many more craters nearby. He looked over the damage as if he were looking for something specific. He found the outline of what seemed to be a massive crater. He heard something in his ear, before looking over his shoulder. In the distance, the airship was approaching.

In the airship, Jaiden stared out the window, staying to himself. Seer sat down next to him, looking out the same window. They gazed upon the massive crater, and Jaiden's face grew more stern, whereas Seer's stayed the same blank expression it had been the whole time. Jaiden got up, and clenched his sword.

"When we get there, I'm going to split up with you again. I just wanted to make sure you were oka-"

Jaiden felt a sharp pain in the side of his face, as Seer punched him. He grabbed the boy by the shoulders, and his expression was visibly angry. Pyra, Valle and Jonathan had never seen anything like it. Seer snarled at Jaiden, who had an equally stern expression.

"Do I need to give you another one? Let me remind you that I'm above you in rank, which means you take orders from me! You're not doing what you want to do. You're doing what the team needs you to do, because that saves more lives. Do you understand?"

Jaiden gritted his teeth, before shouting back.

"No! I don't! You don't understand how I feel! Do you have any idea how much it hurt? Seeing my father die in front of me? Watching that bastard take everything from me?"

Seer reeled back his fist, and slammed it into Jaiden's face again.

"Wrong answer!"

Pyra tried to interrupt, but Jonathan's facial expression told her that it was best to stay out of it. Nonetheless, she cried out in concern.

"Goruju Kai, Please, stop it!"

Seer grabbed Jaiden by the collar, as what appeared to be a tear formed in his eye.

"You're not the only one who's lost someone here, kid. I'm so sorry that you don't know your real mommy and daddy. And I'm even more sorry that you watched that son of a bitch kill your adoptive father. But the reason I'm doing this, the reason I'm disciplining you, is so you don't do the same reckless shit that I did. I lost everything. That crater you're staring at? That used to be my home. I was reckless, and I didn't do what was best. I got self-righteous and cocky. And it cost me."

Jaiden's face was quiet. He let go of him, and they both sat back down. There was a moment of silence, before Seer began talking again.

"That goes for all of you, by the way."

Seer was quiet for a little while longer, before he began to speak again.

"I used to be a father, you know."

Jaiden raised his head up, his face growing more somber.

"What?"

Seer smiled, folding his hands under his chin.

"Yeah. I graduated from the academia of Midknight and studied to be an engineer. I didn't really have any plans, but that didn't matter to me. Even if it would mean large hours working on the harvesting equipment, I didn't care. It was all for my wife. She was beautiful. Blonde hair, soft orange eyes. We had a baby. And neither of us really made a lot of money. So I had to work really hard to make ends meet. But now that I had graduated, I could do so much more. My son's name was Gabriel. He had blonde hair a lot like yours."