088.

For once in a long time, everything was looking good. The seeds taken from Meridian were planted in fresh and sweet soil, mixed with grand fertiliser and decked in rain water collected over the weeks. The ground was brushed and cleaned, no more lingering walker guts or blood; all the bodies burnt and thrown away from Alexandria.

It was Day 2 — she would be leaving tomorrow.

And Daryl still wasn't back.

And she still hasn't told Maya.

Eleanor had to push that to the back of her mind however as she prepared for the girls eighteenth. Birthdays weren't a big thing anymore—fuck, Elle can't remember when she last celebrated hers—but Maya was forever and always a kid in her eyes.

That's why she got Carol to bake a cake, a simple sponge with a dabble of icing as they set up a small fireplace in the centre of Alexandria. Eleanor got Charlie and Lydia to take Maya out on a patrol as they set up, all such a busy morning.

"She's gonna love it, Doll." Negan said carefully, his hand slithering across her waist as he passed to set down a chair. "If not, you can just run away from her-"

Elle went wide eyed and covered his mouth with her hand. "You need to shut your gob." Elle ordered, Negan smirking from under her hold as he gripped onto her hips. "I mean it."

She sent a pointed look and let go. "Alright, Goddamn." She rolled her eyes and turned to set more chairs out around the fire. Her idea was something simple—a celebration for getting Meridian back to Alexandria, a celebration for a birthday, and a goodbye. A get together in the centre of her home - smart.

"Are you gonna ask her to come?" Negan said in a low murmur, his tall frame towering over her.

Elle nodded carefully, but she was dreading it. Exasperated and stressed, she let out a groan and planted herself into Negan's arms. She could hear him chuckle into the crown of her hair, his hand running along her spine. Even if they were in public, she didn't care — not anymore.

"You're gonna be alright, Sunshine."

Elle frowned, "I think they're gonna hate me."

"No one can hate you." He pressed a kiss to her forehead. "Trust me on that, you potty mouth minx."

It was like her worries and fear was lifted in seconds and it really baffled her on how this man (Negan of all people) could change her mood in seconds. "You're a gob-shite, you know that right? Potty mouth minx, you're just as bad!"

"Hey," He pointed a finger. "I wasn't spewing that foul stuff every second of every day-"

Elle rolled her eyes and grabbed him by the cuff of his shirt, pulling him down to capture his lips. "You're a cunt." She mumbled against his lips.

"Foul." He reclaimed, his hands gliding to her back pockets of her jeans. Negan pulled her closer without a worry in the world but Elle planted a hand to his chest. "What?" He whined.

"We need to be ready for Maya-"

"Okay..." Negan said like it didn't mean anything in his brain. "Bet I can make you come three times in ten min-"

"Negan!" Elle gasped and pushed him back. "Now who has the foul mouth?"

"Oh, baby, I can do so many things with this mouth-"

Elle rolled her eyes and dropped the playful act, "Get back to work." She ordered, pointing at him with a stern face.

"Ten minutes, Sunshine-"

The woman wasn't dropping it though even though her cheeks were red and her heart was beating 100 miles a minutes. "We are doing this for Maya," She raised her finger. "Get back to work."

Negan threw his head back with a groan, dramatic idiot, before grabbing a quick kiss. "Yes, ma'am.

-

"You know," Elle looked away from what she was doing to capture the sweet smile of Carol. She was setting foods and cake on a table while Eleanor stopped folding blankets when she spoke. It was autumn—people will get cold. "We all have eyes-"

"I could so do with some Carly Simon right now-"

Carol bellowed out a laugh and gently nudged her in the shoulder. "Give it up, hon." Elle sighed. "It's cute; disgusting but cute."

"It's bad." Elle said in a whisper. It was really bad, falling for the bad guy. Of course she ended up in some cliche. But at this point? Elle didn't care. "But I don't regret it."

"Why would you?" Carol said sweetly. "He's nice to you, and you keep him in check."

"It's Negan-"

Carol snorted, "Come on, it was always gonna happen." The way Eleanors eyes bulged was almost comedic. "Daryl said it wouldn't," Carol didn't miss how Elle flickered her eyes down at his name. ", but then he saw you leave the cell with a grin and came running back with a different answer."

Elle chewed on her lips, shrugging carelessly. "I need to finish up this-"

"Oh, stop." Eleanor froze and Carol sighed. Lecture, oh no. "Whatever you're gonna do... I get it. He doesn't. Just talk to him please-" Elle went to object but Carol raised her finger. "Without screaming and shouting, please. You don't want to bring an audience, right?"

"Right."

A silence came over the pair, Carol standing on the balls of her feet as Elle grabbed another blanket and plopped it in a pile. "Don't go too far." Carol begged into the quiet air. "And be safe — don't get too over your head and go on a suicide mission, alright?"

Elle smiled gently, "Alright."

"And- and you don't do something that gets you killed. And ration your food, don't go insane; come back if you're hurt-"

"Carol,"

She sounded like a mother on a maternal rant. "And- and," Carol sighed. "I'm so sorry." And that was something Eleanor didn't expect. "You've been a survivor for a long time, Elle... if this is your chance of- of peace then take it. Please take it."

"I will- I am." She frowned, "Why are you sorry?"

"We all should've been here more." That was another thing Elle wouldn't guess that would escape her lips. "We've been together from the start... and then it got rocky and we all left. Left you, that wasn't fair." Elle felt like she was suffocating. "Please don't feel bad for leaving, Ellie... you deserve this. Finally your chance to take a breather."

"Take a breather," She repeated along her tongue. "I say it's a long time fucking coming."

Carol lunged forwards and just hugged her, tightly and warmly, not once letting her go until Elle had to pry herself away.

ello

i just feel like death and i wrote that hungover so im so sorry

okay but now all it is is maya and daryl

then back to the episodes thank FUCK