1

ASTER

They all sang happy birthday to her and it hurt my head. I got up and went upstairs and never went back down again, nobody even came up to check on me.

My phone blew up with messages from classmates and friends and distant relatives from Italy and France. Half the people who wished me a happy birthday don't even talk to me and yet my family can't do one damn thing.

Scrolling through my phone and lying down on my bed a knock erupts from behind my door, "Yes!" I shout very annoyed. I barely got any sleep last night since they were partying and getting drunk.

The door opens a little just for me to see my cousin, "Morning." She walks in with a smile and her energy so high.

"Didn't you get like...extremely drunk?" She lies down next to me on my bed and sighs long and loud and I want to shut her up with a pillow to her face.

"Yeah, but I went on a morning walk and honestly, you're so lucky to live in an area like this!"

I'm not. I am. But i'm not. It's a beautiful area but most of the people here are up each others arses and if one of us slip up once like...I don't know? Forgetting to pick up your dogs shit or accidentally leaving their gates open after visiting. They go absolutely crazy over the smallest of things.

"Want to go out for breakfast?" I'm extremely hungry and I want to spend time with my cousin before she goes traveling all around the world again. I only have her for one month and then she's formula one's it girl for the rest of the ten months of the year.

"Let's go!"

˚✩ ⋆。˚ ✩  ˚✩ ⋆。˚ ✩  ˚✩ ⋆。˚ ✩

We're sat in a little cafe just a few minutes from my house. We are both sat in silence, Lissie has her phone in hand and I have a notebook.

"What are you planning on doing, like work and shit." She asks me in hopes to know what I have planned for my life.

"I don't know." I shrug and keep writing down dot points.

She sighs, "Maybe I could get you to work with me." I suck in a breath. That would be wonderful.

"Maybe you could help me with video ideas and stuff."

I exhale. All the hope gone. I don't want to be her social media girl or something, I want to be a journalist like her.

Our drinks are placed on the table and we both say a quick thank you to the server. One iced matcha for me and one vanilla ice latte for her.

"Give me a sip." She pleads and I hand it to her generously, "This is so good!" Lissie exclaims and I giggle.

I never had a sister. I was 'blessed' with two brothers, both younger than me. I'm so very thankful to have a cousin like her though. My older sister.

"Oh my shit." She whispers taking another sip from my matcha.

"What?"

"Behind you."

I spin my head around and see two tall boys in jeans and hoodies. I turn around to face Lissie again and she wiggles her brows and I blush.

The golden boy of football and his brother are complaining to their mother about the lack of fields and shops around here. I get where they're coming from though, the 'good' shops are like an hour away but not in my eyes.

They have hidden boutiques all around town. My town is known for their beautiful bakeries and cafes but most of the reviews are bad because of the shitty people who live here. The workers though are the nicest people around.