The Night it Changed

"Alastor, have you seen Angel?" Charlie's voice made the demon look up from the book in his hands and stare at her with his usual wide grin plastered on his face.

"Why, no. I have not," his radio voice sang, "In fact, these past few weeks have been the most peaceful since I came here without that fellow being here." Charlie sighed, clasping her hands together worriedly as she nodded and walked away. Nifty, who was on one of her daily cleaning rounds, hopped up to the arm of the chair Alastor was sitting on with a sad look on her face.

"She's very worried," she cooed sorrowfully, "She's noticed the state in which Miss Angel has been coming back in for the past few months. She talked to her last night to try and find out what was happening, but Miss Angel simply ignored her." Alastor chuckled at Nifty's common mistake of Angel's pronouns but frowned when he processed what she said.

"What do mean 'the state' in which Angel has been coming home?"

"Why, Miss Angel has been coming back covered in injuries. Bruises, cuts, black eyes. She even had both her bottom arms fractured once," she looked at him quizzically, "Surely you've noticed, sir?" He nodded absently, standing up from his chair, his book forgotten, and walked down to the parlor. Charlie was pacing back and forth, a serious look on her face. Vaggie was there on the couch, watching her friend with a worried expression. Husk, who was asleep at the bar, wasn't paying attention to anyone.

"Charlie dear," Alastor called, "You look like a cornered mouse. What can I do to ease your mind?"

"Oh Alastor, I'm just so worried about Angel. He's been coming home covered in wounds for e few days. I just," she dropped to the floor, "I don't know what to do." Alastor sighed, confused about why everyone was so worried about the most annoying demon in the hotel, and walked over to her.

"Why don't you go sit and have Nifty bring you some tea? I'll bet he turns up soon." She nodded and Vaggie followed her as she walked out of the room. "Well this won't do at all," Alastor hummed, glaring out the window, "I guess I shall be having a talk with him when he comes home."

Angel stumbled into the parlor of the Hazbin Hotel, cloaked by a large red coat that he had borrowed from Valentino. Pain laced his body as he struggled to keep his vision straight. He fumbled against the wall, searching for the light switch when suddenly, a glowing pair of red eyes caught his attention.

"Why Angel," Alastor hissed, stepping into the dim light coming from the open front door, "Aren't you home a bit late."

"Go away Alstor," Angel croaked weakly, "I can't deal with you today."

"Oh, I believe you can." He took a threatening step towards him, the air around him shifting like the static of an old TV. He was planning on just scaring the other demon into submission but was startled when he fell to the floor with a loud thump. "Oh please, stop the acting Angel," he rolled his eyes trailing off when Angel didn't get up, "I don't fall for..."

"Help," he whispered roughly, reaching a blood-soaked hand to the other demon, "Please, help me." Alastor rushed over to him and looked through the opening in the jacket. He was naked underneath, with a giant gash torn through his side, bleeding heavily, along with dozens of smaller cuts lining his defined ribs and thin legs.

"Angel, what happened?!" Alastor shouted, but Angel didn't reply, the grip he had on Alastor's shoulder weakened and his head flopped to the side heavily. Alastor shouted again, but he couldn't make out what the demon had said. So he just ignored it, letting himself slip into the welcoming peace of sleep.