1. The First Encounter

The fog was thick enough to not let you see things right in front of you. He was a city guy and it was his first time in a village that too due to election duty. After setting up things for the next day he and his team had an early dinner arranged for them by the village headman. When the drinks started he left the room, checked the lock of the evm room and walked out to take a look around. He walked outside the village on the tiled road towards fields. It was December and there was a little fog at first. He was fascinated by the clear sky and air. The moon was shining bright making the view mesmerizing. So he kept walking. And before he realised he went too far and the fog thickened. He couldn't see anything except the moon. He took out his phone and turned the flash light on. He opened his phone call log and tried calling his teammates but none of them picked. All of them must have been drunk he thought to himself. The barking dogs sounded scary to him. He tried walking back but he just couldn't find the way. Just then he heard footsteps. He tried to walk in direction of sound hoping to find some help. "Are you trying to fly right here", she said stopping his hand from hitting her face. "Oh I'm sorry. I'm just trying to find my way back", he apologized coming closer to her. "How can you get lost here", she said letting go of his hand. "It's my first time here. I'm here on election duty",he replied. "Are you staying in Panchayat house", she asked. He nodded. " Follow me. I'll take you there",she told him and walked forward. He followed her closely after thanking her. They walked quietly until he held her getting shocked by a dog's loud bark. She turned to look at him.He was looking at her with puppy face. She was angry but his eyes melted her. She extended her hand for him to hold. He immediately held her hand. It was his first time holding a stranger's hand like this, his heartbeats raced but he felt protected. They walked like this till the Panchayat house quietly with him taking glances at her. She stopped at Panchayat house's gate and looked at him, he looked back at her in awe. She indicated him to let go of her hand. He reluctantly let go of her hand and she left without saying anything. And when he realised that he didn't even ask her name it was way too late. He walked inside and sat on the stairs outside the verandah staring at the sky though all he could see was fog. The stars and the moon were nowhere to be seen. He let out a long breath. He so much wanted to sleep but the moment his eyes fell on his hand he went back to her. Her for he didn't know 'her' name yet.