3. The Medusa.

"You're a most deadly weapon..."

"We've made you into a powerful human being, given you strength and abilities beyond anything anyone could imagine and this is how you repay us?"

"I thought you accepted your life... I thought you accepted this. Accepted me."

"Now that you have betrayed us, betrayed Russia, and betrayed me... you will know pain unlike any other."

"I know I can't hurt you physically anymore... but I still can hurt you in other ways."

"For your betrayal against me, I'll make you kill every last citizen of Urzikstan until control of the country is mine."

I had not opened my eyes as I awoke from my restless slumber, I felt like I didn't need to. I knew the energy of where I was, it was strange, dream-like... Because I knew that wherever I was, was safe. For the first time in a long time... I was safe.

And that feeling was completely unnerving.

I took in a deep breath and slowly opened my sore and straining eyes. My vision was blurry, as I tried to see through it, a sickly wave of nausea took over and belted my stomach and the sting of bile rose in my throat. I groaned and coughed out, finding my voice wheezy and scratchy with every haggard breath. My fit of coughing continued as I slowly leaned up from the bed I found myself in. I wiped the saliva from my lips and then prop myself up on my elbows, hissing in pain as my weak muscles complained against my every movement.

My eyes started to adjust a little as I held myself up, I saw I was in a light blue hospital gown and I was under cool, soft blankets that were... a pleasing white. A blinding white... a colour that seemed unreal. I loosely let my fingers touch the softness, letting them melt into it to test if this sense of comfort and safety was real.

I scan around to see the insides of a small hospital room, although this one was distinctively less morbid than what I had been used to... The room was plain and white brick-walled but was rather spacious and gave room for neat cupboards and locked storage along the walls. A small kitchenette tucked into the right corner.

The image of the barred window next to my bed gave the light of a clear sunny day outside, and the hint of a blue sky entered my peripheral vision. I saw that to my side was an IV drip with a cord predictably running stuck into my left arm and that's when I noticed the cool pads of an ECG over my body.

I wince at the sight and i follow the cords of the ECG to see a heart rate monitor next to the IV, seeing that line jump up and down just as I had seen many times before.

With a bout of strength rising through my weakened body, I pinched the needle in my arm and dragged out the IV, keeping the sharp needle tucked into my fist. I then take to the pads of the ECG and tear them off one by one, causing a buzzing alarm to come from the rolling monitor on my left side. I grunt, my head ringing from the sharp sound.

"Shut up," I spoke weakly, throwing a flimsy punch at the monitor, which stopped the beeping.

I take in a few deep breaths to steady myself as nausea runs rampant through me. I began to slowly sit myself up and take my legs over the left side of the bed, wincing as I did so and making sure to keep hold of that all-important needle. Once I got up, I caught my breath and held a hand to my chest.

I looked at the heart rate monitor across from me, seeing that my heart was beating 115 BPM before I took off the pads. A fast tempo for anyone else, but a rather slow speed for me. This showed that my body was still healing from... the cruelty.