My Math Exam Gets Rudely Interrupted

You know how when you were a kid, you grew up watching those magical girl shows where the main character is a "normal, average, teenage girl" who's "just like everyone else" by day, but a kickass superheroine by night, with a skin-tight bodysuit which accentuates their figure just right? And nobody knows it's them until the very end of the show, even though the signs are very obvious?

Yeah, this isn't one of those stories. Or, maybe it is. Just, humor me for a second, ok?

My name is Cyra Burns. I am currently a senior at Faraday Charter School. Yup, you read that right. Charter School. Reading that right now, you are probably thinking

"Damn, Cyra. Doesn't that mean you're freakishly smart?"

The answer to that, my dear friend, is no. I am no smarter than the average Tom, Dick or Harry. I was simply one of the lucky souls that managed to get into this "esteemed" institution through the lottery.

Now, I'm sure the first thing that popped into your head (right after assuming I'm just automatically smart) was that the school must be really big, prim and proper, with a giant glass dome on the top of the building, and huge brick walls surrounding it.

Yeah, no.

Our school, even though it may sound hoity-toity, is far from the illusion its name may give you. Faraday Charter School (FCS for short) is stuck in the basement of another school. Like literally, a basement of another school.

While we do get those rare instances of sunshine and light when we go for lunch upstairs, most of the time, we FCS students are stuck on one floor the entire school day. Don't get me wrong though. It is a rather wide single floor. But given the fact that FCS has around 50 seniors(including me), 60 juniors, 70 sophomores, and 80 freshmen, things tend to get a bit...crowded.

"Faraday Charter School? More like take me far AWAY from this place." Electra groaned next to me, slamming her locker shut for emphasis. She has caramel skin, a fabulously curvy body long braids that go to her back, and honey brown eyes. 

"Oh, come on, Els. This school isn't so bad." Isla said, walking over to our little spot by Electra's locker, Ricky in tow. 

"See, you only say that because you haven't been here long enough." Skylar said suddenly from behind me, scaring the daylights out of me.

"Holy sh- Skylar, what have I said about warning?!" I sighed, trying to calm my rapidly beating heart. With dark brown hair dyed at the tips with magenta and wide light brown eyes, Skylar had quickly caught the eyes of multiple hormone-driven teenage boys and girls at FCS. However, the whole situation is quite unfortunate for them (and lucky for her overprotective friends), she is not looking for any love interests at this time. 

"I gave you one! It's not my fault you are as deaf as a door!" Skylar said exasperatedly.

"I mean, to be fair, it is pretty loud in here." Ricky said, coming to my defense. Ricky had the cool, suave, "mysterious" guy aesthetic down to a science, with dark black hair, grey eyes, and a tall height of around 5'9.

"Yeah, let's go meet Astra before things get worse." Electra said, starting on her way to our next class. I was about to follow suit when I accidentally ran into someone.

Now, before I continue, I should probably explain who these guys are. Electra, Skylar, Ricky and I have been friends since the first day of high school. Isla and Astra joined our school in the beginning of the year and have been a part of our group ever since. However, ever since they've joined our school, they've caught the unwanted attention of quite a few unwanted individuals.