Chapter 3: Shattered bonds

As Andrew walked home, a young boy called out to him, breathless with urgency. "Your brother has returned from his mission!" he exclaimed.

Andrew's heart swelled with relief and joy. The safety of his brother meant the world to him. Eagerly, he asked, "Where is he now?"

The boy pointed towards a nearby hospital. "He's currently hospitalized there. Follow me, and I'll guide you to him".

At the hospital...

Anxiously gathered together, the entire family awaited news about Ryan's condition. Moments later, the doctor emerged from the room, their faces etched with concern. "He's out of immediate danger," the doctor began. "However, I regret to inform you that he may never regain his ability to use mana. You may now go in and see him".

Worry and sadness enveloped everyone as they contemplated Ryan's fate. They were aware of the tragic events that had transpired. Stacy, Ryan's sister, spoke gently to him, her voice filled with compassion. "Please don't blame yourself, big bro. You did everything you could."

Ryan, overwhelmed by emotions, couldn't hold back tears any longer. Burdened by guilt, he turned to Stacy and sobbed, "I couldn't save anyone... My friends... They perished before my eyes, and I lay helpless on the ground. I'm sorry, Mom. I couldn't fulfill your dream of becoming a hunter. Please, don't let Andrew know about my disability".

His mother embraced him tightly, her voice full of pride and love. "You are already a hunter in my eyes, my dear. Remember the countless lives you've saved. You are a true hero, an inspiration to generations."

Ryan's spirits lifted as he recalled the admiration his little brother, Andrew, held for him. He resolved to shield Andrew from his own vulnerabilities. Meanwhile, Andrew arrived at the hospital, having learned of the distressing turn of events. Frustration and worry consumed him.

Entering the room, Andrew rushed to his brother's side, embracing him tightly. Tears flowed freely down his face. Though Ryan's injuries were severe, Andrew found solace in the fact that his brother had survived. Through choked sobs, he pledged, "Big bro, one day, I'll become a great hunter just like you".

Ryan responded with a radiant smile, his eyes filled with hope. "It's a promise, my dear brother Andrew. I'll be counting on you

After spending precious time with Ryan, the brothers reluctantly left the hospital. Ryan needed ample rest to facilitate a complete recovery.

At Alice's house...

Within the confines of her home, Alice busied herself with washing her hands, buying time for her parents to plan their escape. Deep breaths steadied her nerves as she prepared for the uncertain path ahead. Finally, she opened the door, and without a moment's hesitation, began to run. In her heart, she knew her parents desired her freedom above all else, assuring her they would join her later. Determined, she pressed on, leaving behind the life she once knew.

With each stride, Alice cast a quick glance back at her parents. The sight that greeted her shattered her world. Their lifeless bodies lay before her, a testament to the sacrifice they had made. Tears streamed down Alice's face as she rushed towards them.

Her mother, barely clinging to life, mustered the strength to raise her hand slightly towards Alice. In a trembling voice, she whispered, "Run, Alice..." Her lips quivered, attempting to convey something more, but Alice couldn't hear the rest. Those were her mother's final words.

The man responsible for her parents' brutal demise adorned a terrifying mask, relishing in Alice's torment. With venomous satisfaction, he taunted her, "You must be wondering how your parents died, right?"

Hatred blazed in Alice's eyes as she confronted him, her voice trembling with a mix of anger and grief. "How did you kill them? I didn't hear a thing."

The masked man responded with a chilling tone, reveling in his sinister accomplishment. "Yes, you're right. I created a barrier. Anything that transpired inside remained unheard beyond its confines."

A wave of realization washed over Alice. Her parents had sacrificed themselves for her. Determined not to let their sacrifice be in vain, she mustered all her strength and fled for her life. In the chaos, Kitty slipped from her grasp, and she frantically tried to retrieve her beloved companion.

Swinging his sword through the air, the masked man unleashed a devastating slash that tore through Kitty, shattering a nearby table into countless pieces. Both Kitty and the table succumbed to the engulfing flames, reduced to mere memories. With a menacing tone, the man declared, "You're next".

Overwhelmed by fear and injured, Alice collapsed to the ground, her arms and legs rendered immobile. Blood trickled from her arm, a painful reminder of the earlier assault. Helpless and terrified, she cried out, "Save me! Mom, Dad... I don't want to die here. I am scared".

As memories of happier times flooded her mind, Alice yearned for her family's presence. She recalled the moments of joy and love they shared, now overshadowed by tragedy and loss. They were gone, their lifeless stares haunting her.

Approaching her with calculated steps, the masked man attempted to alleviate her fears. "Don't be scared. I promised your parents I wouldn't take your life. I'll spare you alone".

Doubt lingered in Alice's voice as she questioned his words. "Are you telling the truth?"

A sinister laughter erupted from the masked man, his amusement echoing through the room. After composing himself, he sneered, "You truly are innocent. Yes, it's true that I won't kill you, but I never said I wouldn't hurt you".

Bending down, he placed his hand on Alice's forehead. She wept, pleading for someone to save her. But her cries fell on deaf ears. With a glowing purple light emanating from his hand, he ominously declared, "I will erase my existence from your memories now. Prepare yourself for excruciating pain... bear with it."

Alice's screams of agony pierced the air, reverberating through the empty house. Yet, no one came to her rescue.

Meanwhile, Stacy was making her way home from the grocery shop when she encountered another masked man.

At Andrew's house, the phone rang, jolting his mother from her worried thoughts. She hastily answered, her voice filled with concern. "Who is it?"

On the other end of the line, a panicked voice delivered alarming news. "It's an emergency. Ryan is missing from his room. We've searched the entire hospital, but there's no sign of him. The only clue we have is that his window was left open."

Dread gripped Andrew's heart as he heard the words. Where could his brother be?

To be continued....