Chapter 7: Road to Hunter

Six years had etched their scars since the harrowing encounter with The Demon's Eye. Despite the passage of time, Andrew, with his ebony hair catching the sunlight, strode through the bustling school halls with a determined glint in his amber eyes. His smile belied a nervous tremor that danced in his steps, a silent testament to the weight of impending challenges.

Pushing open the door to his classroom, Andrew found himself amidst a lecture on elemental magic. The teacher's voice wove tales of fire's fury, wind's whisper, and how these ancient forces shaped the world. He spoke of hunters, warriors wielding these elements with unmatched prowess, guardians against the encroaching darkness that threatened their realm.

Andrew hung onto every word, his mind alive with the possibilities. He knew that some possessed an affinity for two elements, but whispers among the students spoke of rare prodigies who danced with even more. These gifted few, revered for their power, commanded respect and awe from all who crossed their paths.

Yet, amidst the awe-inspiring tales, the teacher broached a hushed topic: dark magic, shrouded in fear and whispered warnings. It belonged to monsters, not humans, the whispers insisted, a reminder of the thin line between power and corruption.

As the bell chimed, signaling the end of the lecture, Andrew's mind buzzed with a mix of anticipation and dread. Graduation loomed on the horizon, and with it, the two crucial tests: a written breeze to assess their knowledge and understanding, and the grueling Hunter's Test to challenge their skills and determination.

This test held deep within the treacherous heart of the mountain range, was notorious among students. The task seemed simple enough: find a hidden crystal within two hours or face failure. But the reality was far more daunting, with hidden traps and treacherous terrain testing the limits of even the most seasoned hunters.

Adding to the tension was the knowledge that a particular examiner had been appointed solely for Andrew's test. Cloaked in infamy for his reputation of never letting anyone pass, rumors swirled of a past incident, a student nearly broken by the test's brutality. Andrew's teacher, her concern etched on her face, pleaded with the principal for intervention.

"He shatters dreams," she argued, her voice laced with urgency. "Surely, we cannot subject Andrew to such cruelty."

The principal sighed, the weight of the decision heavy upon his shoulders. "I haven't forgotten. But the Hunters Association appointed him. We can only hope for a miracle."

Later, at the school gates, Andrew awaited Alice, her golden hair shimmering like spun sunlight, her warm brown eyes reflecting the uncertainty of the times. As she approached, a smile bloomed on his lips, dispelling some of the tension that had knotted his stomach.

Their conversation flowed effortlessly, a blend of excitement and apprehension for the challenges that lay ahead. Alice shared her experiences with the upcoming test, recounting tales of hidden traps and heart-pounding moments of fear. Andrew listened intently, grateful for her insights and reassurances.

With a shy smile, Alice shifted the topic. "Would you like to watch the fireworks festival with me?"

Andrew's grin widened. "Absolutely! It promises to be unforgettable."

"And perhaps we could grab something special to eat?" Alice suggested, her eyes twinkling mischievously. "My treat."

A blush crept up Andrew's neck, warming his cheeks. "Anything you choose would be wonderful," he mumbled, his gaze meeting hers with a shy appreciation.

Alice's laughter filled the air, light and melodious. "Don't be shy," she teased gently. "Besides, a little blush suits you."

In their innocent banter, Andrew found a sense of comfort, a fleeting moment of respite from the challenges that lay ahead. As they walked side by side, the weight of their impending trials seemed a little lighter, buoyed by the warmth of their friendship and the promise of shared adventures to come.

High above on a distant rooftop, cloaked figures gathered, their faces veiled in shadows. With silent determination, they plotted their next move, shrouded in mystery and uncertainty. Below, oblivious to the impending danger, the city bustled with life. The countdown had begun, marking the start of a twisted game of illusions set to unfold in the coming days.

To be Continued...