Chapter 8: The Hunter's Trial

Perched atop the majestic mountain, a figure cloaked in sternness engaged Andrew in conversation

Perched atop the majestic mountain, a figure cloaked in sternness engaged Andrew in conversation. "Are the rules crystal clear to you? You have but two hours to retrieve the precious crystal," his voice rang with unwavering authority.

Undeterred, Andrew met his piercing gaze head-on. "Yes, I am fully prepared for the challenge".

With the relentless ticking of the clock spurring him onward, Andrew plunged into the depths of the treacherous forest below. Each step he took was measured, every sense heightened to detect the lurking dangers concealed within the shadows. The passing of the first hour unleashed a barrage of perils, a strategic array of deadly traps laying in wait. Poisoned arrows hissed through the air, flamethrowers spat their scorching fury, and the forest floor riddled with treacherous pitfalls and hidden snares. Swinging blade pendulums threatened to rend anything in their path, while a deceptive maze played havoc with Andrew's senses.

With resilience and resourcefulness, he traversed the perilous terrain, narrowly evading each trap by a hair's breadth. Yet, despite his unwavering determination, the crystal's elusive location remained a puzzle yet to be solved.

As Andrew endeavoured to ascend a towering tree, seeking a strategic vantage point, an unforeseen event disrupted his plans. The tree erupted in flames, forcing him to retreat hastily to the forest floor below. Gasping for breath, Andrew realized that one precious hour had already slipped through his fingers. To his astonishment, a formidable figure emerged from the shadows, exuding an aura of strength and authority. Introducing himself as William, he declared with conviction, "Hey Andrew, I am your examiner".

Caught off guard by the examiner's unexpected revelation, Andrew's mind raced with caution. Was this a trap, a clever ruse to deceive him? With a hint of scepticism, he dared to question, "If I recall correctly, examiners are tasked with introducing challenges that test candidates, concealing the crystal's true location. They aren't supposed to directly intervene during the test. So, why are you here now?"

A faint smirk tugged at William's lips, his gaze piercing through Andrew's doubts. "Yes, it's true," he admitted, his tone carrying an air of mystery. "But I have my own methods. I only let a candidate pass if I deem them worthy of being a hunter. Unfortunately, I've yet to encounter one who meets my standards. You'll have to prove yourself," he declared, his words laden with challenge.

As Andrew's suspicion deepened, William's mind briefly wandered, recalling Andrew's connection to Ryan, a former candidate. The thought flickered across his consciousness, a brief acknowledgement of the familial tie. Nevertheless, William remained resolute in his stance.

Initially dismissing it as a waste of time, Andrew was caught off guard as William retrieved something from his pocket. To his astonishment, it was the very crystal he had been tirelessly seeking. With unwavering confidence, William announced, "I'm changing the rules, kid. If you want this crystal and wish to pass the test, you'll have to stake your life to claim it from me".