Chapter 10

"What are you doing here?" His voice sounded displeased.

I anxiously bit my cheek. "Kazu invited me." Nikolas grabbed my wrist and took off the bracelet. "How were you able to see me?" I questioned.

He pointed at my chest where the ring on my necklace lay. "Even with the bracelet, I can sense you."

I scratched the back of my head in guilt. "I'm sorry Nik, Kazu said that it would make you happy if I were to come and watch."

The vampire put his hands in the pockets of his tracksuit. Unexpectedly he replied, "It did."

I blushed and couldn't help but smile. "You were amazing out there."

Nikolas glanced down and softly smiled for a moment. "Well, if it weren't for you, we probably would've lost the game sooner."

I covered my mouth. "That was an accident... I didn't know you would be able to hear me."

His hand reached out towards my head. I expected him to pet me, but he retracted and put his wavering hand back into his pocket. He looked up with a grim expression. "Well, even with the enchanted bracelet, I don't like putting you in danger."

"I'm fine! You taught me how to defend myself." I flexed my left arm. "As long as you're here, I'm safe." I gave him a reassuring smile, but it seemed to have the opposite effect.

I heard Nikolas say something under his breath, only picking up "Away from me". He took a glimpse of my face and then quickly averted his gaze. "I'm sending you home."

"Nik, wait I need to tell you–"

The vampire closed his eyes and clapped his hands, sending me back to my bedroom. I landed on my bed with a thump.

I growled and threw my pillow on the ground. I got cut off once again. Swearing under my breath I laid on my side and fell into a deep slumber.

Friday (11/14/XX) 10:20PM

Standing by my window, I watched as the moon's pure whiteness began to become stained in a faint hue of scarlet. The edges of the moon looked as if it were bleeding.

That must be the blood moon. I thought to myself.

I trudged to my bed feeling like a mess with my overwhelming emotions. I still haven't figured out why Nikolas has been avoiding me. Trying my best not to cry, I shut my eyes and pulled the blanket over me.

-

I heard a soft tapping noise coming from my window. My eyes shot open. I ran to the window to see if it was Nikolas. To my disappointment, it was Kazu. Right as I opened the windows the werewolf started talking in a frenzy, his viridescent eyes were frightening to look at.

"You need to come with me! It's about Niky." He looked as if he was about to cry. "He locked himself in his room and I don't know what to do."

I comforted the distressed wolf and patted his head. "Alright, alright, calm down, let me change my clothes and take me to him."

After getting dressed, I sat on Kazu's back while he ran in his wolf form to school. We were a few minutes away until Kazu stopped in his tracks. He swayed his head from side to side and growled.

"Kazu, are you alright? What's wrong?" I brushed the fur behind his neck. He went up on his hind legs and howled. I fell backward on my back with a groan.

"Looking for someone?"

I whipped my head around and saw a figure sitting on top of a lamppost. I squinted and couldn't believe my eyes. The boy wore the same outfit from Halloween: a black wizard hat, a black robe with forest green fabric on the inside to match his emerald green eyes, a white long-sleeve collared shirt with a black vest embroidered in silver, black dress pants, and black dress shoes. His hands wore black fingerless gloves with one hand holding a slender wooden wand.