02

06/04/2015

now playing

our summer - tomorrow x together
1:25 ───|────── 3:30

"under the hot summer,
you and i are now us"

꒰ 🥥 ꒱ؘ ࿐ ࿔*:・゚

"your don't speak in dialect? are you not from here?" the boy asked, finally giving into the conversation.

"is it that obvious.." hyo-ri rubbed the back of her neck as the embarrassment kicked in. "i moved abroad really young and i've been doing korean lessons so i don't forget my native tongue or whatever but i guess it didn't really work."

"you sound like a seoul-saram, those really posh chaebol kids. where exactly did you move to?"

['seoul-saram' = a person from seoul
'chaebol' = rich business family]

she giggled at the statement, considering he was probably right. "canada. i moved to canada."

he paused, thinking about where he had heard her name before."does that mean you're that kang hyo-ri? the athlete one? ohh i think i've seen you on the news before. do you do judo?"

"taekwondo." hyo-ri folded her arms, "you can speak casually to me. we're the same age are we not? i'm march first, 2000."

"really?" he muttered before speaking once again, "i'm march thirteenth, 2000."

"oh my gosh spring twins!" she stayed silent for a few seconds, thinking. "i have an idea. can i maybe get your number so i can tell you happy birthday?"

"but it's june?"

"and i'll be the first to say it. what do you think?"

beom-gyu seemed to be in thought for a moment. after a few seconds he nodded, she could be fun. this would be his last summer of freedom so an opportunity like this couldn't be given up.

he took his phone out of his pocket and held it out to hyo-ri who immediately reached for it and typed in her number. when he took his phone back, beom-gyu asked another question.

"so what brings you to korea, kang hyo-ri?" they reached the area of the boardwalk where all the shops were.

"i have a really big taekwon tournament coming up and my coaches suggested a change of atmosphere would be good for extra practice so korea seemed like a perfect destination. a holiday for my family, a medal for me, i guess."

he nodded, not pushing the conversation further. the pair passed a few little stalls, from american-style burgers to vietnamese pho there was an intoxicating mix of smells, but what really caught hyo-ri's eye was a little local convenience shop.

"JANGMI LOCAL - 24 HOUR"

the shop wasn't anything special or unusual, just a regular store with an assortment of vibrant toys and cold drinks decorating the front of it.

hyo-ri shuffled a few children's stuffies so that she could just about get into the shop, and pushed open the dark oak door. the smell of fresh bungeoppang filled her nose, making her grin.