welcome

when sophie woke, her body was aching, that's what you get for sleeping on a dirty wooden chair, letting out a small groan she hobbled to her feet, looking around the castle, she could get a better view.

heavy beams in the ceiling. The stones of the floor were stained and greasy, ash was piled within the fender, and cobwebs hung in the beams. There was a layer of dust on the skull that Sophie absently wiped it off as she passed.

her eyes land on the boots again, now only noticing the smaller brown shoes beside them, caked in a thick layer of dried mud. suddenly the door chimes and sophie shoots up, listening to the sound of footsteps bounding along the floor, she hurried back to her chair and folding her arms over her chest she pretends to be asleep.

-----------------------------

light beams through ravens window and she lets out a small groan, rolling over into her mountain of pillows. the sun rays taunt her and she lets out a small mutter of a curse before rolling out of bed.

meeting eyes with her reflection in the mirror she runs a hand through her hair. walking to her cupboard she tugs out a dress with small stars embroider into the base. slipping it on she reaches for her accessories.

"raven! door!" markl calls, raven adjusts her necklace and walks to the door, opening it the same time the younger boy sprints past, making his way downstairs. the sound of his feet bounding down the stairs wakes up calcifer.

raven watches as sophie pretends to be asleep, careful not to be caught. raven jumps the last few steps, watching as markl stares the woman down,

"hey who's this lady?" he glances between raven who is walking over and sophie, raven shrugs her shoulders and markl glances at the granny.

"door markl" raven reminds and he nods, running to the table and grabbing his cloak, shifting into his old man disguise.

raven steps beside calcifer, he looks at her and she hums, bringing her hand over his body, his flame was going out slightly, a low orange glow emits from her palm and calcifer spurts back up, watching as raven flicks the remains of his fire from her fingers before reaching down and picking up some logs.

sophie peeks from the corner of her eye, watching raven. she is shocked to see the woman , taking in her features, pale skin and eyes. ghostly white hair. almost as if she was living dead. the dark eye bags under her eyes caught sophie of guard. this was the woman from last night, and from the market. how strange.

raven looks at sophie and hums, "good morning granny"

sophie tenses and sits up straight, raven chuckles and markl steps to her side passing her the letter from the king. she steps away and opens it, letting markl question sophie.

"Αn inνitation from His Μajesty It has come to war" she reads under her breath "His Μajesty desires eνery wizard and magician, eνen the witches, to aid our homeland"

she puts the letter on the side and rolls her eyes. "war, how awful its getting closer" she puts the letter on the cramped table.

"Αnd who might you be?" markl questions sophie.

"Calcifer let me in" she responds.

"Don't look at me" calcifer looks at raven who walks over, markl looks at the woman who just shrugs and scruffs up his hair.

"She wandered in from the Wastes" raven hums looking at sophie.

"Τhe Wastes?" markl looks at calcifer and raven "You're not a witch, are you?"

"and what's wrong with being a witch" raven quips, resting her hand on her hip, markl's face flushes with embarrassment and raven laughs, 

"I'm joking, and anyway, calcifer wouldn't allow the witch of the waste in, would he?" she pats markl's head and the door rings.