Chapter One - Gaby

Removing my silver headphones off my ears and down to rest on the back of my neck against my brunette hair, 'Luna, Amore e No - Version 5' by Piero Piccioni fades into a distant thought as the loudness of the metro station catches up to me. My eyes watch as the train I had only just stepped off, zooms back into the dark tunnel to continue its journey. The automated speaker announcing the arrival of the train across the opposite side causes me to draw my attention elsewhere. I watch the cue of people going up the stairs for the exit gates, each and every individual running on the same clockwork, destined to travel to the same place at the same time.

The University I go to is quite aesthetically pleasing to the eye. Large grass areas encouraging people sit, eat and socialise - tall modern buildings with quiet study spaces, bars and cafes, and even rooftop gardens. It's a happening place here at uni, but I'm not interested in the social life. I'm here to gain my bachelors degree in Law and move into a new chapter of my life.

Looking down to the Apple Watch on my wrist, I realise I only have ten minutes to find the correct room for my tutorial. My walking speed subtly increases as I make my way down the main campus footpath. I try to give myself time to admire the golden sunbeams of the sun that filter through the leaves of the large trees above, casting just the right amount of shade over the footpath. Though mixed in between the bright green leaves, some of them are beginning to turn a yellowish brown colour and drop from their branches, floating down to the footpath.

I finally arrive to the Law Building with five minutes to spare. The interior of this new building surprises me, tall ceilings that are four stories up, the roof covered by glass panels which brighten the whole place - there are even little trees and plants placed around the foyer that seem to add more life and atmosphere.

Each side of the walls have offices and classrooms running the whole way across, reminding me of some classrooms we had at school. We would call them the 'fishbowl' classrooms as opposite sides of the room were glass panels as walls. It made you feel like a fish in a tank, watching the world continue around you while you worked. At school, one side of the glass walls were looking back into our library, giving me the perfect opportunity to distract myself by people watching - and the window wall opposite that allowed us to look at all the trees right outside the door.

After catching myself getting distracted from reminiscing on the past for two minutes, I finally found the correct room for my tutorial. My hand hovers onto the door handle, pushing open the heavy door slowly. It creaks loudly, the quietness of the class not helping as most students pause their whispered conversations and look over in my direction. Keep your head down and keep walking. I mentally remind myself as I remove my tote bag off my shoulder, only now noticing how heavily its been weighing me down. It thumps against the table loudly and I shrivel into my seat before realising I've sat myself next to someone . . .