Chapter Ten - Mathew

It was 3:30 on your average Thursday afternoon.
I was walking away from the campus bar, having just finished a class nearby. Sliding my earphones into my ears, I looked down to my phone while walking and turned on some music to try and get pumped before the hockey game tonight. I'm beginning to feel the nerves- there's so many people I need to prove myself to. All my other teammates who probably think I'm not worthy enough for the captain position. And theres one person I want to try and impress- I suddenly feel someone grab onto the back of my arm, causing me to turn back to look at them.

I'm greeted with a large genuine smile, a girl with blonde hair and tan skin who just always seems so happy to be in peoples presence. I remove one of my earphones, before the other as she gives my arm a gentle squeeze and lets go. Her smile softens along her lips. "Hi Mathew. How have you been?" This is Kayleigh, Rutger's girlfriend. I nod a bit, beginning to walk slowly in the direction I was initially headed, having her walk along beside me. "I've been alright, and how about you, Kayleigh?" She looks to me and moves her head side to side slightly. "So-so. I'm coming to the game tonight, of course. I hear this is going to be a big match for you!" She smiles brightly- another reason I can't let people down. She has so much hope in her eyes. "Yeah I guess so, Rutger has told you about everything?" She nodded, continuing with her sentence. "Don't let Ethan bitch you around. This is your moment to shine, okay?" She moved her hand back onto my forearm and gave it another reassuring squeeze. "I'll see you tonight, Mat."

It's not long before I reach the rink, walking my way into the men's change room. There's about half of the other guys in there, a few sitting and stretching, others getting themselves ready. I placed my bag down on the chair, taking a seat beside Rutger who is tying his skates up. "How many people you got coming tonight to watch?" I ask, watching as he looks up to me while still tying his skates. "Kayleigh and my mum! How many chicks have you got coming tonight to watch /you/?" He grins and sits back upright, pushing some of his hair back out of his face. "Aha," I laugh fakely and continue with sarcasm "Oh you know, heaps. Well- I did invite someone along but I'm not sure if she'll come." I shrug my shoulders and stand up "We will se-" The door loudly swings open and slams its way back closed, Ethan having just stormed his way into the locker room. He dumped his duffle bag down and looked over in Rutger and I's direction, his fists slightly clenching together as he took a deep breath, his chest puffing up. He released all that negative energy, walking over to us. "Whats good-?" I ask, trying not to say something that could cause issues. He looks at me- a completely blank look along his face. No matter how intimidating Ethan tries to be, he always has puppy eyes, but I wouldn't tell him that. "I- uh." He clears his throat and looks to Rutger, before looking back to me. "I'm glad someone like you can lead our team. It's just taken me a while to see it." Im obviously taken back, then patting his shoulder with my hand, giving it a firm squeeze.

Half an hour later, we are all ready and stepping out onto the ice. I spin my hockey stick in right hand, my left hand fiddling with the clasp of my helmet. My eyes begin searching the arena seating which is quite full of people dressed in blue and yellow colours like our uniform. My eyes gaze over everyone, just trying to spot- her. Gaby is here. I try not to keep staring, looking down to ice I'm moving across. I glance back up to lock my eyes back onto her, watching as she leans to her side, getting closer to the girl sitting by her side. She's talking to her closely, obviously so her friend can hear, Gaby's pointer finger slightly pointing in my direction. I pull my eyes away and get ready in the line of my team, taking a deep breath.
Just breathe. Eyes on the puck.