Chapter Three - Gaby

After watching Mathew write his name on the sheet of paper and pass it along to the next person, I realised I was staring at him once again. Is this really the same guy from last year? He looks so— ah shit he's looking at me again. Quickly looking away, i whip open my Space Grey MacBook Air and type in my password to get started. Unfortunately my internet tabs were still open from last night, a paused video from Maya Winky ASMR of 'Lord Farquaad does your makeup' fills the screen. Mathew must've been looking at my laptop too because he let out a chuckle, quickly stopping and looking away as my eyes pan over to him.

After forty minutes of our professor discussing theory, we were given a group research task on an outdated legal case. He pointed from the front of the classroom, putting us into pairs. These types of activities are usually my favourite forms of research, but I prefer to work alone or in a five group setting - PAIRS is where I draw the line. I'm not surprised when I just happen to get partnered with Mathew. He turns to me with a smug expression, one side of his mouth pulled upright with a smirk as if he had the face of the iconic roblox man. "How have you been?" He asks, turning in his chair so one of his elbows is resting on the desk and his other elbow is resting on the back of the chair, giving me his full attention. "I've been good, thanks. Did you have a good break?" I was trying not to just die in my chair - this is the same guy who last year I was so obsessed with, without even having one conversation. I think the furtherest to a "conversation" I got with him was when we both said 'thanks' to our professor at the same time before leaving our class.

I notice his expression change to be a little surprised, maybe he was shocked I remembered him? But then he smiled, a big grin. "Wasn't much of a break. Hockey practice everyday for hours on end" He chuckled. "Yeah, that's understandable. We should probably start working on this project. I'll set up a document if you want to start researching?" I click away on my laptop, feeling the eyes of Mathew still watching me. I slowly look back over to him, having him quickly justify: "I'm sorry, I seriously left my laptop at home." He smiled sheepishly, then continuing. "How about you research and I'll write all the notes down on paper for the moment." I nod, beginning to research the case instead. At least I'm not left to work on this solo.

Mathew isn't too bad of a study partner. He keeps focused on the task and still challenges my thinking with the small comments he makes. After a while of working, I looked over to the piece of paper he was writing the notes on, watching as he continued scribbling words on the paper. Some of the words seemed to be a jumbled mess, but as long as he could read them, we could always transfer the notes onto the computer later.
We continued to stay very productive and I actually enjoyed being his partner for this task since we are on the same intellectual level.