Chapter Eleven - Gaby

I dwelled on the idea of coming to Mathew's hockey game. It was a very in-the-moment sort of decision, especially when Mathew's friend- I think his name was Ethan? was willing to create drama and belittle him in public. I know I said I would come, but surely I would have something else to do then, maybe study or assessments... But apparently not, I'm actually up to date with my work so I felt a bit worried all week, trying to talk myself out of going to the game. It doesn't help that Isabelle is actually interested in watching a game of hockey, so she's dragged me along regardless.
We walked our way into the rink, the seating stands speckled with people wearing blue and yellow items of clothing. Whether it was beanies or caps, jumpers or jerseys, Mathew's team colour was prominent against the few red and white colours in support of the other team. Taking a seat two rows in, both Isabelle and I's eyes slowly rose up to look at the wall opposite us, large glass panel walls along the second story of the shopping centre above. The windows were available on that level for people to watch the rink from a higher view. We both seemed to look at each other at the same time, a smile on her face as she spoke. "Isn't it crazy we went from sitting up there, eating our lunch and watching people skate, to now sitting inside to watch a game?"

The teams stepped out onto the ice, gliding their way into the middle of the rink with such ease and grace. Few of the players looked up into the stands as they emerged, others keeping their eyes on the ice. I was watching as each person skated by, my view then landing on Mathew and following him. He was adjusting the strap of his helmet, his eyes flicking up to look at me, then looking down at the ice he skated on. Maybe I shouldn't have come- he may not even want me here. I take a slow deep breath in, the cold air filling my lungs. "Which one is philosophy boy?" Isabelle was scanning the boys, following the direction of my finger as I slightly pointed to him. "...he's really cute. How did I not know this." I roll my eyes and shake my head with a laugh.
The match shortly started, the two teams picking up great speed as they moved back and forth across the ice. I could barely focus on where the puck was sliding before it was hit in the opposite direction again - almost like a game of tennis. Luckily I just focused on the jersey numbers along their backs, memorising whose number was what. A guy on the team with the large number 2 on his back and the name McGroarty, scored the puck into the small goalpost. Cheers erupted from behinds us as McGroarty skated by the rink window, sending a kiss off into the audience. I glanced behind my shoulder towards a blonde girl who 'caught' the kiss in her hand and held it against her heart with a large smile.

It got to half time, the boys forming in their team groups to discuss game plan and hydrate. They all seemed quite sweaty from all the exercise of going in circles on the ice, but every time I looked in Isabelle's direction, she was lightly shaking with the cold shivers even through her puffer jacket. I stared back over to where Mathew was standing on the other side of the rink, him then turning his head in our direction and looking right back at me. He then smiled a bit and did a nod of acknowledgment, looking back to his team. The match continued on and Isabelle grinned while staring to me, her shoulder bumping into the side of my arm. "you cutie." I swear she can pick up on all those things- I guess it doesn't make me feel delusional like I'm imagining it. She giggled and was suddenly interrupted by a guy get slammed into the glass in front of us. Isabelle jumped in shock, my hand grabbing her arm as I realised who it was. Ethan pushed the guy off him and kept skating on, clearly now angry too. "oh god that's—" I started before getting cut off "he's so cute- did you see how cute he was??" Her eyes were glued on Ethan, so I shut my mouth and left her be. I happened to look back to the game right on cue to watch as Mathew got passed the puck, his hands manoeuvring the stick around to keep the puck in line in front of him. He had a face full of focus and determination, shooting the puck into the goalpost. Belle and I both stood and cheered, her arm flinging around onto the back of my shoulders as we watched the team celebrate.

It didn't take long before the match was over - and his team won with 3-1. Belle picked up her bag as I stood, getting ready to leave. "okay are you going to introduce me to Mathew?" She's looking up to me before standing up, placing her bag strap over her shoulder with a smile. "Oh, no. No we are leaving right now" I went to take a step back and Isabelle grabbed my arm, pulling me towards her. "No, we are staying, thank you very much." She linked her arm against mine, walking down closer to the rink with me and making us wait until the team members walked out from the changing rooms. I dreaded this- she's going to make this so awkward. "Gaby-" we both looked over our shoulders, turning around to be greeted by Mathew. "Hey- you came." He grinned, his hair sort of messy. "Yeah- you played really well- this is my friend, Isabelle." He instantly reached his hand forwards, Isabelle shaking his hand. "Lovely to meet you- I've heard so much about you." She said, causing me to just stare at her. Mathew chuckled, his eyes locked onto me. "Is that so..?"