5 • team bonding

chapter warnings: spoilers for s1e17, mention of rape victims, mentions of murder, mentions of alcohol, being drunk •

previously:

"Have a good weekend."

"Yeah, you too."

Spencer threw the magazine and card into the trash bin next to his desk before thinking for a moment and taking it out again, placing it in one of his drawers.

•••

Soon after saving the young actress, the team was called in to investigate on another case in Manhattan. Once they caught the UnSub and got back to Quantico, they decided to end the day with a nice chinese dinner.

"So you know there was a big hole in the profile you presented back there," Hotch remarked.

"Can you pass the moo shu, please?", David asked Derek.

"What's the hole?" JJ was confused.

"I left out the possibility our UnSub might have been a cop." David shrugged. "Well, they do know the system," Derek answered, "they're definitely overworked and underpaid."

"They see so much injustice every day, they can easily take matters into their own hands," Hotch agreed.

"When someone like our victim is killed, police refer to the murder as a public service murder. It's crazy how many victims don't want to press charges. But the juries also often say that the victim was asking for it, it's enough to make you explode," Spencer said while trying to concentrate on eating his noodles with chopsticks, and failing horribly.

Jennifer frowned. "Well, it's a long way from feeling like that and actually committing murder, don't you think?"

"Oh, not really."

A waiter was walking by the table. Spencer stopped him for a moment. "Excuse me, could I get a fork, perhaps?"

Violet chuckled, along with the other team members. Derek let out a wheeze. "Did you know that experts credit Confucius with the advent of the chopstick? He equated knives with acts of aggression."

"You don't know how to use them, do you?" Violet asked the doctor.

"It's like trying to forage for dinner with a pair of number two pencils." She let out a laugh.

"Okay here, let me help you." JJ took the chopsticks from Spencer's hand. "Oh the rubber band trick."

"Yeah the rubber band trick."

Derek went back to their earlier conversation topic. "Well, New York City cops do have a lot of pressure on them. Every move them make gets scrutinized."

"One of the first cases of criminal profiling happened when the New York City cop asked a criminal psychiatrist friend to help with the Mad Bomber Case," Rossi said. "The Mad Bomber was a major inspiration for the Unabomber, the genius explained, "He eluded cops in New York for 16 eats, starting in 1940, but he kept his promise and never set off a single bomb during the Second World War."

"Psychiatrist James Brussels, he developed a profile so accurate, he predicted that when they caught the Bomber, he'd be wearing a double  breasted suit and it would be buttoned." They chucked.

Emily looked up from her food, "You guys, we're here in our free time and even when we're not talking about the current case we end up talking about another profiler."

Spencer looses a noodle that ends up on the floor.

"You're right. So, Violet, are you seeing anyone?" Derek asked.

"Why, are you?" She backfired, ignoring the question. Derek just laughed.

•••

After they finished eating, a few of them though it would be fun to go hit a bar. David and Aaron went home to their families.

Derek was on the dancefloor the moment they walked in, searching for girls, Violet, JJ, Emily and Penelope sat at the bar chatting about anything while Spencer stood awkwardly next to them clutching his glass of water.

Once Violet was at her fifth drink, he got a bit worried. "Maybe you should slow down?"

She walked over to him and stumbled a bit. "Maaaaybeee youuuu," she pressed her finger into his chest, "youuuu should have some funnn."

As she tried to walk back to her chair, she tripped over her own feet, almost falling, but Emily held her up.

The doctor sighed, "I'll take her."

He lead Violet out of the bar and to the subway where she made many embarrassing remarks. Spencer didn't know where she lived so he thought it'd be smarter to take her to his own place. He'd have to sleep on the couch but that's not much of a problem.