Chapter 2: everything's new

August, 2017

Joshua stared at his phone looking at the time. One hour, it has exactly been an hour since he had landed on Korea after a 11 hour long flight from LA. Yet, there was no sign of his father arriving at the airport to receive him. "He hasn't changed," he thought.

Another 30 minutes went by and he could finally see his dad rushing towards him, Joshua smiled at his dad and gladly indulged in the fatherly hug.

"Sorry Son, I was late," his father apologised.

"It's okay dad," he reassured. His dad helped him carry his luggage (he had two suitcases) and went towards the parking lot.

The drive was very awkward since they hadn't met each other for almost eight years.

"So Jisoo, how are you? And how is your mother doing?" His dad asked amidst the awkward air.

"So far good dad. Mom is actually very happy nowadays. How about you dad and aunty? You two have a daughter right?"

"Yeah... I think you would love her, she is adorable," Mr. Hong said smiling fondly. His parents got divorced when he was 13, they had made him choose between his father and mother, it was a hard decision for him. His mother had got remarried twice and his father married the lady he was cheating with and now they have a child.

They reached a simple yet expensive looking mansion. He followed his dad inside and they were immediately greeted with a bright excited child calling her dad.

"Daddy," she whined raising her hand wanting to be lifted.

"Oh... Princess not now... right now daddy is with a guest," a feminine sharp voice spoke from behind. Joshua bowed at her, calling a guest at his own father's house was little rude, Joshua felt he wasn't welcome there.

"You must be Jisoo, nice to meet you," she said and Joshua smiled.

"Please come and have dinner, you must be hungry," she said carrying her daughter inside and his dad led him to the kitchen.

During the dinner, he ate quietly while the couple spoke to each other and fed their daughter.

"Jisoo... I heard you are going to Sebong university?" The lady asked and Joshua nodded as an answer.

"I found you an apartment near the university," his father said. "You don't have to worry about anything Jisoo. Just study well," he added.

"Yes... your dad will help you with the finances and you also get allowance from the university due to your scholarship," Jiwon, his dad's wife said.

"You didn't have to dad...Thank you," Joshua said feeling a little shy, he doesn't want to burden them.

After dinner, he went to his room and checked his phone, there was 3 message from his mom and two others from his friends.

Mom❤️
Joshua... have you reached there?

Mom❤️
Your dad is coming isn't he? Has he reached yet?

Mom❤️
Are you there?

The last one was sent 5 minutes ago.

Yes I have arrived mom

Mom❤️
Glad... don't forget to eat well and take care of yourself

Okay mom... you too

But he didn't have to worry about his mom, his new dad would perfectly take care of her, after all she was carrying his child. He lied down on the bed, new country, new place, new uni, he have no idea how he was going to survive this for the next four years.