Chapter 7: Negotiations

When boarding the ship, master Skywalker and Ahsoka had a similar reaction to my predicament. I just rolled my eyes at them, deciding that not falling off the kriffing ship was more important as I held on to Rex.

Obi-Wan and master Yoda were waiting for us at the landing site of the Jedi cruiser. I went to stand next to my master, nodding in greeting at the small grandmaster.

"I see you're too short for the gunships." Obi-Wan whispered to me, amusement colouring the force around him.

"Not you too." I grumbled softly, Anakin and Ahsoka approaching as he chuckled.

"Master Obi-Wan. Master Yoda." Anakin greeted them.

"Trouble, you have, with your new Padawan, I hear." Master Yoda said.

"I was explaining the situation to Master Yoda." Obi-wan added.

I looked up at him, a bit surprised. Were Anakin and Ahsoka a bit rough around the edges? Yes, definitely. But they were also very similar, strong and bright presences in the force. And though Anakin would likely deny that, I figured they were the perfect pair for one another.

"Really?" Anakin questioned, as surprised as I was.

Yoda nodded. "If not ready for a Padawan, you are, then perhaps we can-"

"No, wait a minute. I admit Ahsoka is a little rough around the edges. But with a great deal of training, and patience, she might amount to something." Anakin said, Ahsoka smiling slightly beside him.

I smirked. Did I, or did I not, freaking call it.

"Then go with you, she will, to the Teth system." Yoda went on without pause, a smile playing on his face.

I rolled my eyes. Immediately sent back into action huh? But I should have known, immediately sensing how eager Ahsoka was, that she was rearing to go. Her master, on the other hand, was a bit more hesitant. "Teth? That's Wild Space. The droid army isn't even in that sector."

Yoda's smile disappeared. "Kidnapped, Jabba the Hutt's son has been."

Anakin almost glared at the green master. "You want me to rescue Jabba's son?" Anakin sounded repulsed by the idea, an undercurrent of disgust flowing through him.

"Anakin, we'll need the Hutts' allegiance to give us an advantage over Dooku." Obi-Wan explained to calm the other Jedi down.

Yoda turned to Obi-wan and me. "Negotiate the treaty with Jabba, you will." He then faced Anakin once more. "Find the renegades that hold Jabba's son, your mission will be, Skywalker."

Ahsoka nudged her master slightly. "Come on, master, it doesn't sound that hard. I'll find Rex and get the troops organized." And she walked off before Anakin had anything else to say about it. I shook my head slightly. She really was the definition of confidence, already taking it upon herself to organize the troops and rearing to go. I'd rather have turned the other way, not at all ready to face that chaos again. At least the negotiation seemed a bit less chaotic than what we'd just gone through.

"Don't worry, Anakin. Just teach her everything I taught you and she'll turn out fine." Obi-Wan said to his former apprentice behind me.

"You know, something makes me think this was your idea from the start." Anakin remarked sarcastically before going after his new padawan. With some distance between us, I was finally able to lift my shields slightly. And though a headache had already firmly settled itself, it wasn't as bad as I'd expected with everything going around.

"Let's just hope Anakin is ready for this responsibility." Obi-wan said to master Yoda as I faced them.

"It can't turn out that bad if you trained him, right?" I said, hoping to reassure him.