Chapter 1: Well, that blew up in our faces

"Okay so, let me get this straight. Not only did you fall into a pit of Gundarks before, you also ended up in some gladiator stadium tied to a pole, and had to fight for your life against giant beasts?" I asked as Obi-wan and I briskly walked to the bridge of the Negotiator, where Master Mundi would be waiting for us.

"Why is that so surprising to you?" Obi-wan countered cheekily.

"Well, I guess it's not..." I shrugged. "It's just weird how my list of places to avoid when around you all involve huge monsters. Heck, it's probably the only reason you found me in the first place."

Obi-wan sighed dramatically. "A blessing in disguise I suppose."

The doors to the bridge slid open, and we walked in. Master Mundi was already at the helm, looking out the large window panes. The orange planet of Geonosis was bright against the black backdrop of space, the large sun peeking out from behind it so that most of its blinding rays were blocked. It looked eerily similar to Tatooine, and I cringed at the thought of having to clean out sand from everything that I owned for the next weeks.

Anakin was not going to like this, at all.

"I cannot believe we're back here again." Obi-wan said as we stood next to Master Mundi, his resentment for the planet clear as day.

I guess Anakin wasn't the only one with a disdain for sand planets...

"It is unfortunate." Master Mundi agreed. "The resistance from the native Geonosians was much stronger than we anticipated."

Obi-wan gave a tired sigh. "The same can be said for their loyalty to count Dooku."

The doors to the bridge slid open behind us, Ahsoka's and Anakin's presence filling the room. I turned around to see them approach, giving a small wave to Ahsoka. She returned it much more energetically, still fired up from her last battle no doubt.

"A fact that is often overlooked." Master Mundi agreed with my master, looking out at the orange planet.

Obi-wan then turned to Anakin when he came to stand next to him as I took my spot next to Ahsoka. "You're late."

"Sorry master, Ahsoka and I were busy routing the Seppies near Dorin." Anakin replied easily, shrugging.

Ahsoka turned to us, her hands on her hips. "My squadron alone had 55 kills." She bragged, confidence rolling off her.

"Nice one." I said, nudge her with my elbow.

"Yeah," Anikan replied, looking just as smug. "But mine had 76."

Ahsoka rolled her eyes at that. "Show-off."

Obi-wan sighed at their antics. "Well, I'm glad you two are enjoying yourselves." He said sarcastically.

"Hey, it's just a little friendly competition master." Anakin said lightly.

I shrugged. "I'll take anything to make our time on this sand globe bearable, so count me in."

Ahsoka smirked at me. "Oh, you're on."

"See," Anakin indicated at Ahsoka and I. "Nothing to worry about."

Obi-wan stroked his beard in contemplation, looking out at the planet in front of us again as an undercurrent of unease went through me. "What I worry about is the way this war seems to be drawing out with no end in sight."

He was right. Geonosis had already been secured once before, and it had taken Obi-wan, Anakin, and senator Amidala being chained to a pole to be sentenced to a mauling to do it. And now here we were again. I could only hope to avoid a near mauling this time.