─ chapter four ; ataraxia

***

***

SOLARIS
January 22nd, 2024
Charleston, SC

"Damn it, gguk." a deep voice filters inside my ears as awareness creeps upon me. "What the hell did you do?"

I felt a softness underneath my head and I unconsciously nuzzled my head into it. My body felt like it was laid on a soft surface.
What was happening?

"I scared the girl, okay?" a deep voice snarled back, "What else was I supposed to do when I found this little girl in my private room?"

"I don't know," a voice shot back sarcastically, "Maybe be calm and nicely ask her what she's doing in here. I mean, come now, gguk, she's a tiny thing – what harm could she cause?"

"You can never be too careful." the deeper, scarier voice spat back. "Don't question me, Theo."

Theo.

My lips parted as the memories of tonight came flooding back.

Father calling. Ataraxia. Theo...and...and the Chairman finding me.

Bile rose in my throat and I nearly felt like passing out again.
Embarrassment flooded through my veins.

Oh goddess; what would Father think of me embarrassing not only me...but also damaging his image in front of Chairman Jeon? He is also known as his boss.

Oh God, please save my soul.

"Anyways, what were you doing in here? I thought you were in the other room with Mr. Caponeiv and his team?"

Chairman Jeon released a rough sigh, seemingly closer than expected to me. My fingers curled into my palms to ground myself.

How would I get out of here without being noticed?

I held perfectly still, holding my breath – listening closely to the Chairman's reply.

"Brittany came by."

"Called her didn't you?" Theo's accented voice rose an outcave in amusement.

A snort came out of the Chairman. "I'm going to be here longer than I'd like to. She offered. How could I refuse?"

Okay. It was time to 'wake up' now. Right?

Suddenly, a painful throbbing erupted at the back of my head, where I had hit it when I had taken a tumble off the soft couch. A loud whine of pain left my lips, and my tiny hand came out to grasp it.

"Oww!"

I kept my eyes clenched shut to not only hide behind my eyelids but to also keep the throbbing at bay. Shuffling was heard and the sound of the door closing was heard and I relaxed.