─ chapter ten ; my nepenthe

SOLARIS February 20th, 2024 Charleston, SC

SOLARIS
February 20th, 2024
Charleston, SC

I WAS SAD TO LEAVE ATARAXIA.

For some odd reason, my gut swelled with worry and dread when I hugged Mister Jeon goodbye.
I couldn't help but wonder why I felt the way I did.
Could this be the last time I would ever see him? Would he leave and never say goodbye?

Would I never get to come back and say goodbye?
I felt so saddened by the thought.
And scared.
So scared.

Sending one last wave of farewell to Mister Theo, I turned and looked at the house in front of me.

My house.
A house I was hesitant and terrified to enter.
Something was wrong.
I just knew it.

My breath caught in my throat once I caught sight of the lights in every room through the window, and I felt like my world came and crashed down in front of my feet the moment I noticed the open door; with Father standing on the front steps – a magnifying, terrifying anger on his face.

Every ounce of air left my lungs, and I stumbled forward, ready to fall down and beg for forgiveness.
This was what was wrong.
I was caught.
And Father was going to hurt me.
Badly.

I just knew it.

I prayed for the pain to come and end quickly as Father surged forward in five leaping strides and reached me.

A loud cry erupted from my lips when my hair was grabbed and I was hauled forward.
Searing pain made my head throb and scalp pull forward uncomfortably when Father let out a shout of anger while pulling me inside the house.

Please, dear lord, let me survive this.
Please, Mama – take me within your arms and let the pain end.

I crumbled forward in a mess of tears, fear, and sadness when Father tore me up from the floor and hurled me towards the coffee table. Due to the force of his push, I shot forward and slammed down on the glass coffee table.

The sounds of my screams and shattering glass rang through my ears. The rest was muffled.

I sucked in sharp breaths of air, unable to breathe properly because of the panic coursing through my body – was – was this a panic attack?

I sobbed, face down on the carpet, in a mess of blood, tears, and utter misery.

Every part of my face stung, and I blinked the glass shards out of my lashes and didn't move. I had no choice but to lay here and take whatever beating Father dealt out.

It hurt so bad.

I whimpered, curling into myself when Father aimed a kick to my exposed side and I felt something crack underneath my layers of skin and muscle.