28.

Sober reality hit me all at once and I gave in. Vulnerable, humiliated, weak. I don't know why I did it. I suppose I just felt... cared for. Protected. I lunged toward Snape and clung to him. He stiffened, I could feel his arms pull away from his sides. I buried my face into his chest and cried quietly. I missed Anton more than ever in this moment. I was reminded of the security and comfort that he gave me.

I couldn't see his face but looking back, I imagine he was stunned. Maybe even a bit appalled. We were close, sure, as professor and student can often grow to be, but perhaps this was crossing the line. I began to feel a bit awkward at my sudden gesture and started to pull away to compose myself. Snape softened as he felt me let go and instead wrapped his arms around my shoulders, one hand cupping the back of my head. Is he... consoling me? I allowed myself to surrender any embarrassment that crept up and allowed him to hold me.

We remained in an embrace for what felt like an eternity. I felt my distress soften with each passing moment. He stroked my hair and I swear at one point he even rested his cheek atop my head. "You'll be ok, (y/n)." I slowly pulled away, my hands still resting on his abdomen. I didn't want him to see my face, flushed cheeks and swollen, red eyes. He lifted my chin to meet his watch over me. There was a soft look to him, softer than I'd ever seen before. He was being sincere and warm. If people only knew how he could be...

"It's awfully late, let us get you back to your dormitory. You don't want to miss the game tomorrow, do you?" Concern filled my face and he must have read my expression, or my mind. "He won't be there, I don't think he will be well enough to do much with that arm for some time..." I felt some of the stress escape me with a deep exhale. He smiled ever so slightly, "not if I can help it, anyway."