Chapter 2: Surprises and disappointments

Sophia hadn't spoken to Georgina for a while, but that didn't mean she had forgotten what Georgina was going through. Although Sophia felt guilty for not reaching out and asking how things were, she knew Georgina didn't expect her to. But that didn't mean Sophia wasn't going to say anything. In fact, she planned on asking the next time she saw her, but Georgina saw her first and beat her to it. That day, while Sophia was at her locker, Georgina approached her, saying, "Ey, Blondie!" in a rather loud and fresh-toned accent. "Long time no see!"

Her sudden appearance startled Sophia, but she was happy to see her. "Oh, hey, Georgie!" Sophia replied with a smile. "Yes, it has been a while. I've been meaning to catch you and ask you something."

"Well, before you start," said Georgina. "I wanted to let you know that my family and I are moving into our new house next week! It's just a few blocks away from here!"

Sophia couldn't help but jump up and down with excitement. "Oh, Georgie, that's amazing!" she said. "I've been praying everyday for something to come up for you and your family."

"I know we're not exactly friends," Georgina smirked. "But you seem to be the only one who cares."

"What about your other friends?" Sophia asked her. "You know, Abigail and Lindsay?"

"We're not friends anymore," Georgina bluntly answered her.

"Why not?"

"Long story," Georgina replied.

"Well, I've got time later today after school. That's if you wanna share?"

"Yeah, that would be nice!" Georgina answered. "See you later!" she added, waving. But as soon as she turned to walk away, she bumped into someone coming down the hall. It was Samantha and a few friends.

"Watch where you're going, klutz!" Samantha shouted at Georgina, who dropped her schoolbooks on the floor.

Georgina quickly stooped down to retrieve her scattered books, but just as she reached for the last one, one of the girls deliberately kicked it out of her grasp. "Oops, my bad," the girl said, a hint of malice in her voice. Georgina was frustrated and recognized the voice immediately and, raising her eyes, saw Abigail's face smirking at her. Lindsay, another of her former friends, stood beside her, seeming equally amused.

After witnessing the altercation between the girls, Sophia intervened and tried to end it. "Alright, that's enough!" she said firmly. "Samantha, leave Georgie be. Haven't we got class to go to?"

However, Samantha was still annoyed and responded with a snide remark, "Whatever. I can't believe you, you traitor," before grabbing Sophia's books and throwing them on the ground. The loud noise caught the attention of Abigail and Lindsay, who quickly joined Samantha in giving Sophia a bag knock to the head as she tried to pick up her books.

As the group walked away, Sophia muttered, "There are many awful things I want to say to that girl, and God forgive me if I do," under her breath.

Georgina agreed and commented, "I know what you mean. Come on, let's get to class."

* * *

Because Asa had been distant and distrusting of people for so long, it was hard for him to interact with his classmates. Sophia knew this but took it upon herself to ask him questions about it anyway. "So, how's your first few weeks been on campus?" she asked him, fiddling with some papers scattered over her bed. "You haven't spoken much about it."

"I don't want to disturb you, lovely," he muttered with his hands over his face.

"It's no bother," she said with a soft chuckle. "Come on, Asa, speak your mind. Please?"