Chapter 4: Uninvited visitors

First thing next morning, after breakfast, Sophia headed onto the front porch to read her Bible. She was still in her soft and cozy PJs, which helped with the cold and crisp air. Following close behind her was Jack, her dog, and when she settled down comfortably, he jumped onto her lap. She gently tapped the outside cover of her Bible before opening it and asked, "What do you think the Lord has in store for us today, boy?" Jack barked and wagged his tail, rubbing his nose on the closed pages. "All right," she smiled. "Let's open it and see." After she did, the first verse she read was 1 John 3:18, which said:

"Dear children, let us not merely say that we love each other. Let us show the truth by our actions."

Sophia knew that this verse was the perfect verse to start her day. "Excellent," she whispered to herself. Then, lifting her head away from the pages and out toward the sky beyond, she said, "Thank you, Lord."

If you have prayed and spent time with the Lord, you know how time can get away from you. You're in this serene and peaceful mindset for a very long time, and most of that time, you don't, nor do you keep track of how long you're there. This is what happened to Sophia. Time had escaped her, and she spent a good hour praying and reading.

When Sophia finally realized what time it was, leaving only ten minutes to gather herself, she hopped up and out of the chair and hurriedly went back into the house. After stressing, she got herself ready. It was one of the fastest get-up-and-go times that had ever come about for her, but it was efficient. A few minutes later, after she walked back out to the front porch, she saw Alexander pull up. He was not in his car, though. He was on his bike. Surprised by this, she asked him, "What are you doing, Mr. James," with a laugh. "Where's your car?"

"Well, since I am riding over with you and your dad today, I thought it better to bring my bike."

Before she could react, she felt her phone buzz once in her pocket. She, at once, reached for it and pulled it out, finding a text message. But it wasn't from her dad like she had expected. It was from Asa, apologizing to her for not being able to make it to church that day and asking for a rain check. You would think Sophia was a little disappointed by this news, but she wasn't. She trusted he had a good reason for bailing. Therefore, she responded to him, saying that it was no problem and that they could reschedule for another time.

"Is that your dad?" Alexander asked, walking up to her.

"No," she softly uttered. "It was Asa. He can't make it today."

Alexander felt excited inside but responded calmly, "That's too bad," and shrugged.

When David arrived shortly after their conversation, Sophia and Alexander eagerly hopped into the backseat. The car ride was mostly talk and laughter, Alexander doing most of it. When they finally arrived at the church's parking lot, David said, "You kids go on and head inside. I'll be in shortly."

"Sure thing, Mr. Hart," Alexander replied politely, unbuckling and getting out. Sophia got out after him. "Hey, Soph?" Alexander said as they started walking.

Sophia didn't respond to Alexander for a few seconds as her gaze was momentarily distracted and fixed on her father, whom she saw walk over to a woman getting out of her car on the other side of the lot. "Yes?" she finally responded.

"Does your church have a piano?"

"Mm, hmm," she replied.

"Great!" he said heartily, clapping his hands together. "I asked because if I came back on Sunday again and the pastor let us do it, would you be up for a duet? You could play the piano while I strum my guitar. Another time, of course. But what do you say?"

"Sure, let's go," she replied, still monitoring her father from a distance. Just then, Alexander's following words were lost on her as she witnessed her father tenderly kiss the woman. It was not a cordial peck on the cheek as some gentlemen might give a lady out of respect, but a brief and passionate kiss on the lips. The image confused her more than angered her, but even so, she didn't like the sight.