Chapter 5: Time finally spent

Carved pumpkins, ghoulish decorations, kids in costumes, and candy meant Halloween. It also meant spooky haunted house parties, and this year, Sophia and her friends, including Asa, planned to visit the scariest one in town. Of course, they were too old to trick-or-treat, but who said they couldn't have fun dressing up and getting a good scare?

As night descended, Sophia retreated to her bedroom to prepare for the evening ahead. She was so excited, but unfortunately, the start of the evening was anything but pleasant. Here is how it began. First, Sophia abruptly heard a loud noise that sounded like a door was being slammed violently against a wall. It startled her, and soon after that, she heard her mother shout, "Get out!". With her heart racing, Sophia quickly put on the last piece of her costume and hurried out of her room to see what was happening.

After she stepped into the kitchen, Sophia peeked over the counter and saw her father and mother shouting at each other. It was a slight relief to her, for she thought something was seriously wrong. All the while, Gary was seated on the couch, uncomfortable by the look of him and trying not to get himself involved. Sophia almost felt sorry for him. "I've had enough of this!" Janet screamed at David. "Get out!"

In defense, David fumed while pointing at Gary, "What makes you think I'm just going to let you have a strange man hang around with my daughter?"

"You dumped her here with me, remember?" Janet cried. "And who I bring here is none of your business!"

"Dumped?" David shouted back with a slight chuckle. "We both agreed on the arrangements, Janet!"

The more and more and longer their argument went on, the worse it got. But that was typical for Sophia's parents, and Sophia was used to it. But what did frustrate Sophia was the night he had chosen to come over and discuss this with her mother. Halloween of all nights, and it had been a while since she had spoken with her father about Gary staying at the house. It seemed like he did it intentionally to ruin everyone's evening. Especially Janet's. Sophia was almost sure her father got some twisted pleasure out of it.

Eventually, Sophia walked back into her room, gathered whatever else she needed for the night, and then out the front door, sitting on the porch steps to wait for her friends. Being there for five minutes, she could still hear her parents' voices escalating. But seconds later, David pushed the door open and slammed it as hard as he could shut. "God!" he cursed out loud, not realizing his daughter's presence.

The argument was clearly about Sophia, but David didn't say anything to her as he stomped past her and out to his car. As she watched him leave, she shook her head. Sophia knew that her parents' arguments were more about themselves than her. And because everything was always about who was right and who was wrong, nothing got resolved.

Thankfully, Sophia's friends came right after David had left, so there wasn't any further entanglement. Sophia saw that Alexander was driving his dad's truck, and in the cargo bed was Joshua and Joshua's little brother Connor and Alexander's little sister Carrie. "Sorry, Sophia," said Alexander, getting out of the truck and walking up the driveway. "Both Josh's parents and mine wanted us to take Connor and Carrie out trick-or-treating. I hope that doesn't ruin your evening."

"You don't have to," said Connor from the pickup before Sophia could speak. "Carrie and I can go alone."

"No way!" Joshua told Connor, smacking the back of his head. "Mom would kill me if she knew I let you and Carrie wander these big city streets alone. Remember, Mom put me in charge of you, so do as I say."

Sophia chuckled at the two boys going at it in the pickup before turning back to Alexander. "Them coming along is fine, Alex," she said. "My night has already been ruined."