Episode 4: The Mojave Debate

Drake could be heard ranting on the other side of the door. "It may work for the first few years but there is no way that would be sustainable in the long run! What the Mojave needs is a strong leader!"

"Oh please! Why him and not anyone else? I for one can think of a few people who would be better leaders!" Sasha yelled back.

Suddenly the door burst open, revealing Anne who was holding a bunch of snacks and drinks. "What the heck guys! I left the room for like a minute and you're at each other's throats!"

Drake looked at Anne. "We are having a deep philosophical argument on the morality of slavery!"

Anne cocked her head with confusion. "What?"

"Drake thinks Caesar's Legion is best faction!" Marcy blurted out.

"He thinks what!" Anne yelled.

"That's because they are! They are one of the most powerful groups in the wasteland. The NCR is weak!" Drake declared.

Sasha spoke up. "The Legion isn't exactly helping people though."

"Yes they are! Caravans don't even need guards when trading in Legion territory. They managed to eradicate most of the threats that plague everywhere else. Their territory is the safest in the entire United States."

"You gotta be kidding me. Caesar is nothing more than a psychopath. The Legion goes around enslaving everyone. What the Mojave needs is powerful but benevolent leadership. We should go with Yesman!" Sasha declared.

Anne joined in the conversation. "You've gotta be kidding me. Independent would leave the Mojave at the mercy of both the NCR and the Legion. This would plunge the region into chaos."

"Ah but you see, Yesman is a loyal servant. If I crown myself queen of the Mojave, I can control that chaos. Establish a functional government. One that will actually help the people," Sasha explained.

"Now hold on guys. Why do we have to build from the ground up? Why not just go with Mr. House?" Marcy proposed.

Sasha scoffed. "The computerized dictator? All he cares about is the city of New Vegas."

"Yeah, but he's run that city pretty well for a long time. Everyone else is thinking short term while he's planning for improvements hundreds of years into the future. He's already making plans for space travel," Marcy argued.

"You make a good point Marcy but are we really going to put all our faith into a single man? What happens if he goes crazy with power?" Anne asked. "I think the NCR would be the best choice."

Drake laughed. "The NCR? They're nearing a famine, they're over extended, and their leaders are extremely corrupt. Even if they win the Second Battle of Hoover Dam, they're the most likely group to collapse."

"Why are they the most likely group? Isn't the Legion completely dependent on Caesar surviving? What happens when he dies? They don't believe in anything other than the man himself," Anne asked.

"While it is true the Legion would not survive as it currently stands. I don't think it would remain the same after their victory. If Caesar survives, he will probably reform it into something that can sustain itself long term. It won't be all sunshine and rainbows after he is gone but at least there is enough room for change to occur. Meanwhile the NCR is so corrupted, any change that occurs would destabilize the nation," Drake explained.

Suddenly the door burst open revealing Anne's mother. "Why are you kids yelling? People are trying to sleep!" she yelled.

"We were arguing about a game," Drake said.

Mrs. Boonchuy stared at them with disbelief, then she shook her head. "I don't care about your game! Go to sleep now!" She slammed the door shut.

The four kids obediently laid down. They continued their conversation but with a more hushed tone.

"I can understand the appeal of the NCR. They may not be perfect, but despite their shortcomings, they are trying to do good. That's gotta be worth something," Sasha said.

"As bad as the Legion is, I can see why Drake likes them. They're pretty good as long as you're on their good side," Marcy added.

"While I wouldn't trust myself with this kind of power, having Yesman on your side would be great. If you think you can lead well, then he is a good choice as an alternative," Anne stated.

"And I guess Mr. House isn't so bad. While I don't like the idea of New Vegas standing alone, he is a strong leader that can bring stability to the area," Drake said.

The four kids gathered up next to each other. The argument had tired them all out, and there wasn't much energy left. They all fell asleep together.

Author's Note

________________________________________________________________________________

So I was thinking about Fallout after watching the TV show. Then I remembered the debate on New Vegas' factions. I was kind of curious which faction these characters would support and what arguments they would make.

So I decided to make this meme chapter. Let's be real, all the chapters in this story are basically meme chapters. There is some backstory, and it does sort of tie into my other fanfic but not that much. This story is mostly just headcanons.