PLOT SUMMARY

On request, I'm posting a chapter that contains the plot summary of Tales of the Lost and the Wilds.

It's probably obvious but just in case: huge spoiler warning!!

I repeat: this chapter outlines the entire rest of the plot of this book!! Huge spoilers ahead!!

***

***

***

***

***

***

***

***

Okay, if you're still here, let me start:

In the last chapter, Farun's village got attacked by bleeders—elven cultists who can drain others of their blood and life force and use it for their own benefit. In their case, to feed an artefact they call the Changeling. Bleeders are hated and distrusted by humans and elves alike, which is why they live separate. 

Farun watches, horrified, as the leader of their village, Ariste is drained dry by one of the cultists. He freezes and would've been next to die, if it wasn't for Rhadoron barging into the house and killing the bleeder. Rhadaron tells Farun to flee deeper into the woods, where the vegetation is thicker and it's easier to hide, along with the rest of the villagers. 

Before Farun flees with the other villagers, however, he notices one of the cultists slinking in the direction of the barn where the human prince is kept. Farun decides to turn around and go to the prince, seeing this attack as a personal test. If he isn't capable of defending the prince, as is his one job, he's not worthy of becoming a hunter. 

In the end, however, it's Malte who saves Farun at the barn in a scuffle with the cultist. 

Malte proves to be quite a capable fighter and would've been able to escape elven captivity a long time ago. That's not what he wants anymore, however. As Malte has already told Farun before, he thinks they're both being played. Humans and elves put up against each other to feed more blood to the Changeling. He also thinks his brother must have something to do with it, as the man is always scheming and trying to take the crown from their eldest sister. Family drama. 

Since Malte just saved his life, Farun reluctantly listens to what Malte is saying. Though there's still a lot of mistrust, Farun at least respects the prince somewhat now.

Then, Malte makes a surprising offer. He will help Farun join the hunters by training him in secret and claiming that it was Farun who defended him from the bleeder cultist rather than the other way around. In exchange, he says he hopes to earn Farun's trust with this so that maybe they could fight these cultists together as they needed to stick together to win. 

Like agreed on, Farun tells the elves he killed the bleeder cultist in single combat near the barn while protecting the prince. Impressed by his attitude, Rhadaron allows Farun to train with the hunters. Another reason why Rhadoron admits Farun to the hunters now is because Elder Ariste was always the one vehemently refusing it. Since the elder is dead, and the hunters unofficially now lead the village, there's nobody left to deny Farun aside from his sister Lysira, who still has her doubts. She tells Farun she thinks he doesn't have the heart to kill anyone and that joining the hunters wouldn't be good for him. Farun ignores her advice. 

Malte and Farun grow a lot closer during their fighting classes and sexual tension enters the chat. Even more so when Malte learns of Farun's sister and helps her and her human lover to escape and live somewhere safe near the edge of the woods but away from the fighting. Malte shares Lysira's opinion of Farun, however. He too thinks Farun isn't meant to be a hunter. A leader perhaps, but not a brutal fighter. He asks Farun to reconsider taking this path in this manner.  Farun is annoyed by this, but takes it in stride as Malte is still helping him to learn how to fight.