Triggers

"Alright, if grilled cheese can trigger happy memories I figured other family activities might also be able to help!" Kenny begins as he shovels his way through Cartman's TV unit. "What the fuck Kenny?!" Cartman exclaims as he watches the taller teen pull board game after board from their storage.

Ignoring Cartman, Kenny continues to grab every board game and every multiplayer video game Cartman owns. He then places them all neatly on the ground so they're easy to see. "Alright! Go up to each of them, see if anything sparks something." Kenny exclaims triumphantly.

Y/n cautiously looks over the games, studying each one closely. They choose the video games first and one of them actually catches their eye, but it doesn't trigger a memory so they put it to the side. Just in case.

"Simpsons hit and run huh? I'm honestly surprised Cartman still has this. You don't even own the original Xbox anymore dude!" Kenny laughs at his friend's hoarder tendencies but Cartman doesn't argue back, choosing to grumble to himself instead.

Y/n then looks at the board games. Immediately one grabs their attention. The box is blue with white writing inside a red square on top. Y/n lifts the lid, searching for something in particular but they're not entirely sure what it is. Then again, they never are.

Then, they see it. Silver pieces. As they pick them up one by one they eventually find it. A little silver dog. Y/n holds it tightly, allowing the memory to take over.

"It's mine! I want to be the dog!"

"No! It's my turn!"

Two voices yell at each other and Y/n watches as the scene in front of them begins to unblur. The two voices belong to two kids, sitting in front of them. One is definitely S/n, they look to be a similar age to the first memory. The other kid looks familiar, they're younger than S/n but not by a lot.

"That's enough you two! I'll be the dog!" A woman exclaims as she enters the room, Y/n looks up and sees the most gorgeous person they've ever known. They'd recognise her anywhere.

"Mum! That's not fair!" The younger child whines as their mother takes the dog from their hands. "Yes it is S2/n. I'll pick your characters so it's fair. Okay?" That's when it hits Y/n, the other child is their other older sibling. The middle child. S2/n. How could they forget that?

"Alright. S/n, you can be the battleship because you're so strong." Mum says cheerfully as S/n receives the battleship with a groan. "S2/n you can be the shoe because you're so fast." Mum hands them the shoe, earning a grumble in response.

"And you, my little Y/n can be the thimble because you're a protector." Mum hands Y/n the thimble and they smile at the small piece of metal in their hands.

"Yeah... A protector of thumbs. How awesome." S2/n Snickers to S/n earning a scowl from our Mum. With that, the memory slowly begins to fade...

"Was it a good memory?" Y/n hears as reality starts to invade their mind, "it was... I have another sibling..." Y/n explains their memory to the others and Kyle immediately begins to ponder it's meaning.

"Why would your mother be so specific? Was their something different about you go guys?" Kyle asks as Y/n slowly goes over the rest of the games. "I'm not sure... I know it must be important though, because I'm fixated on it too. It's like the reason is right at the back of my mind and I just can't quite get it."

"Maybe if we talk about your siblings more you might be able to remember more." Stan suggests, "like... What did they look like? How much older are they? Be specific."

"Uh... Well, S/n is eight maybe seven years older? They look just like me except more muscular. S2/n is about five years older, they look like Mum." Y/n explains, picturing their siblings in their mind. "S/n would be in their early to mid twenties now while S2/n would be freshly twenty-one, I think their birthday is near mine..."

Y/n starts talking and as they do, information starts coming out naturally. As if everything were normal, like they could remember everything. "S2/n had a big celebration for their twenty first. Everyone was so happy, I think that was the last time everyone was together before shit hit the fan. S/n wasn't that big into parties, they preferred quite gatherings. The most they partied was game nights with their small group of friends. They always seemed... On edge. It makes sense now, but at the time I... I didn't know... Fuck."

Y/n places the last item on the ground, tears rolling down their face at the realisation.

Their siblings weren't with them.

"Hey, it's alright! Look at how much information we got after one afternoon! If we keep this up we'll figure it out in no time... Just hang in there. It'll be okay!" Kenny immediately tries his best to sooth the teen, it is always his immediate reaction when someone is upset. One of the very few pros of being an older sibling in an abusive household. That's if you consider it one.

Y/n wipes their tears with the back of their hand, feeling defeated. They so desperately want to go home, but they know deep down...

It probably doesn't exist anymore.