A new king

Surrounded by a multitude of blue-faced individuals, whose vibrant red eyes shine with affectionate smiles, a surge of pride engulfs me

Surrounded by a multitude of blue-faced individuals, whose vibrant red eyes shine with affectionate smiles, a surge of pride engulfs me. These are my people. The Jotuns. And the connection we share is not only profound, but unbreakable.

Yet it hasn't always been this way. There was a time when I harboured disdain for those very same faces. When I despised my original form and sought to conceal it by assuming the guise of an Asgardian.

For years I believed the Jotuns were an inferior species. That I, being a Jotun, was not good enough. Soon, the weight of this internalised prejudice took its toll, and I found myself unable to bury the inner turmoil that made existing unbearable.

So.

Desiring to end it all. I planned to abandon myself in a land I believed to be filled with savagery, the land of my birth. Jotunheim.

It seemed fitting at the time. What crueller fate than to spend my last breath in a place everyone detested.

However, upon arriving in the unforgiving land of my people. What unfolded before me defied all my expectations, and I was forced to reconsider everything I thought I knew.

Contrary to my wrong assumptions, Jotunheim was not a realm of barbarians after all. Instead, it revealed itself as a place of enlightenment, a place   that held within it a rich tapestry of beauty, wisdom, and a vibrant culture.

Immersing myself in this new world, the realm I had regretfully dismissed, I saw my people for what they truly are—a worthy race. It made me realise the extent of my foolishness.

How had I allowed myself to be swayed by the words and judgements of others without seeking the truth firsthand? How could I, The God of mischief, been so misled?

I can't deny that I was angry with myself. But instead of wallowing in self pity, I sharply awakened from my naivety and surrounded myself with my people.

I saw their qualities that surpassed my previous expectations. They possessed intelligence, compassion, and a deep sense of community that I had never imagined possible. For the first time, I felt a genuine affection for who I truly was. It propelled me forward, inspiring me to claim my rightful place as a leader among the Jotun's.

I expected some resistance, of course, being a newly arrived Jotun asserting my birthright to the throne. But as soon as they recognised the markings I bore as a Laufeyson, they pledged their unwavering loyalty. Loyalty to me, their new king.

With such ease and welcome, any doubts I had disappeared, along with my unoriginal visage. My Asgardian form became a thing of the past as I wholeheartedly embraced my true self and no longer concerned myself with conforming to conventional standards of beauty.

I knew that my blue skin, imposing stature, and red eyes were not what society deemed as typical or desirable. Yet, I harboured no shame for my Jotun form. Not any more. I had finally found myself.