A bitter pill to swallow

As I stand before the Great Wall of Vannaheim, my men grow increasingly agitated

As I stand before the Great Wall of Vannaheim, my men grow increasingly agitated. They're eager for battle, yearning to break through the impressive entryway that awes them.

I, too, admit at being pleasantly surprised at the craftsmanship and skill that has gone into constructing such a robust barricade. It is truly a marvel, and part of me appreciates the artistry that went into its creation. Yet, despite this admiration, I am determined that today it will be rendered to mere rubble.

As my men pace with restlessness, I carefully analyse the structure before me, using my keen eye to identify a vulnerable point, a weak link. It isn't long before I find it, and instantly I envision the bricks falling one by one, the breaking of this barricade the catalyst that propels me to glory. I can almost hear the phantom crashing sounds, resonating in my ears like a beautiful symphony. The sheer thought of it fills me with an intoxicating sense of exhilaration, and I find myself mentally weaving the story that will tell the tale of how the mighty Jotuns conquered this seemingly unbeatable barrier.

Some may argue that it is ill-advised to prematurely script the story of victory before it has been attained, deeming it a bad omen. But the certainty of my success leaves no room for doubt. I will be hailed as Loki, the god of mischief, the conqueror of walls, and the scourge of realms.

"When do we take a crack at the wall, my king?"

I hear an eager guard address me, but I maintain my focus on assessing the wall as I speak, "Not quite yet, my valiant warrior; we must savour the element of surprise."  I sense the confusion emanating from my guard even before he utters a single word.

"Element of surprise?" He replies, but they already know that we're here." He questions with bewilderment.

I turn to face him, my smug grin widening even further. "They may be aware of our presence, but they believe their wall is impassable. How surprised they will be when they witness its inevitable collapse."

My guard's incredulous expression speaks volumes as he tries to comprehend my words. "You have found a way?" he asks, the awe evident in his voice. "Then let us begin!" he exclaims eagerly.

His excitement is noticeable, but I click my tongue in a disapproving manner, halting his enthusiasm.

"No. We must wait. The deliberate delay in launching our assault only adds to the dramatic tension, soldier. It serves a purpose beyond mere timing. It is a calculated strategy intended to heighten the psychological impact on our enemies minds. By withholding our strike, we instill doubt and unease, causing them to question their own resolve. Let their minds fester in uncertainty while we revel in the view of them unravelling." A cruel smile played across my lips as I uttered my last sentence.

My soldier chuckles at my cunning and struts away, eager to share our conversation with his comrades. While alone, I take a moment to relish in the knowledge that our enemies, stationed upon the towering walls above, are flustered, and soon to be trembling with trepidation.