Chapter 1

It was the very first day of summer holidays and for the first time since he had started Hogwarts, Harry was thrilled to be going home. This would be the first year that he didn't have to get on the train and head to King's Cross. The first time that he didn't have to be picked up by the Dursleys or be handed a list of chores to start on immediately. The first time his books and his trunk wouldn't be taken and locked away. He wouldn't have to do his homework under the cover of darkness after his aunt and uncle had gone to bed.

This summer he would be with his newly adopted dad at the Manor. He would do his homework in his bedroom, with all of his things surrounding him. He would do chores that earned him an allowance that he would get to spend on their trips to Diagon Alley. He would have Thursday Breakfasts at the cottage with Grandad Albus, Grandma Minnie, his Uncle Remus, and his dad. Ron would be coming to visit this summer and maybe Draco, too. They could play quidditch behind the manor until it got too dark to see. He would have tea after dinner every night and help Snape with potions when he wasn't too busy having fun.

And Harry was certain that he would be having a lot of fun this summer.

Harry's Godfather, Sirius, who had escaped from Azkaban prison last year, was now free and he and Harry had gotten to spend quite a lot of time together over the last few weeks. He had temporarily moved into Remus's quarters at the school but that had only lasted until last week when he had found himself a flat in London. Harry hadn't gotten to see his new place yet, but Sirius had told him that he could come visit whenever he wanted. Snape had raised an eyebrow at that but hadn't said anything about it.

Harry rolled over in his bed in Snape's quarters and looked up at the enchanted window. For a moment he was confused when he saw the sun shining brightly, already so high in the sky. He glanced at his watch and realized that it was already eleven forty!

He threw off the covers and sprinted out of his bedroom and down the hallway. He stopped short when he saw his dad sitting in his favorite armchair, a book in hand. He didn't even glance up at Harry as he said, "No socks on this morning, I see."

Harry looked down at his bare feet, then back up to Snape. "I thought that's what we had the carpet for. Plus, it's not that cold today."

Snape closed his book with a snap. "It's a dungeon, Harry. It's always cold."

He stood up and headed for the kitchen. "Are you hungry? I kept your breakfast warm."

Harry's mouth nearly fell open in shock. "Hang on," he said as he followed Snape. "Aren't you going to say anything about me sleeping in all morning? And you never keep my food hot. You always tell me that I should have gotten up to eat it."

Snape turned around before crossing his arms as he leaned against the doorframe of the kitchen. "That's not true."

"Yes, it is," Harry said matter-of-factly, matching his stance and tilting his head up so that he could look him in the eyes.

Snape huffed. Actually huffed out a breath before turning back around. "Well, in any case, I kept it warm today. And I didn't say anything about you sleeping in because it's the first day of the holidays and I thought that with everything that has happened over the last several weeks, you could use a few extra hours of sleep. Was I wrong?"

"Well... no," Harry answered.

"Alright then," Snape nodded towards the plate of food on the table. It was full of eggs, toast, beans, and sausage. Harry could see the steam still rising from it and he knew Snape had set a heating charm on it. "Are you going to eat, or should I get rid of it?"

"I'll eat it!" Harry said as he hurriedly sat down in his seat.

Snape tapped the table and a glass of pumpkin juice appeared in front of Harry while a cup of tea appeared in front of his own seat. He sat down to drink it while Harry ate.

"I've been thinking," Harry said between mouthfuls of food.

"Merlin, help us," Snape said drily, and Harry wasn't sure if it was a jab at him for thinking or about his table manners. Either way, Harry sat up straighter and finished chewing his food before he spoke again.

"I was thinking," he said again, "that this summer maybe Ron could come over for a visit. He hasn't seen the manor yet."

Snape hummed in reply before taking a sip of his tea. "I suppose I could arrange something with Mr. and Mrs. Weasley. Providing that you behave and get your summer homework done without too much complaining."

Harry nodded. "I will. I promise."

They sat in silence for a bit while Harry finished eating. When he was done, Snape cleared the table and they both stood up.

"I'm going to my lab to work for a while," Snape said, "and no, you can't help me today. You can however get dressed and then start packing whatever you wish to take home with you. We'll be leaving first thing in the morning."

"Can't I do it later? I promise I'll get it done, but I wanted to go and see Remus today."

"You just saw Remus yesterday," Snape replied, shaking his head. "Whatever you want to see him for can wait till later."

"No, it can't. The full moon's tonight and we're leaving tomorrow."

"Harry, I'm not arguing with you on the first day of summer break. It will take you all day to pack so I want you to do that first. If by some small chance, you get finished by this afternoon, maybe you can visit with him then."

Harry sighed as he dropped heavily onto the couch and crossed his arms. "You could just let me use magic and then it wouldn't take long at all."

"Harry." Snape's tone had taken on a stern edge and Harry knew he shouldn't push the man any further. He bit the inside of his cheek and turned his head away from Snape.

Behind him, he heard Snape let out a sigh.

"Do you remember when you wanted to visit Hagrid last year and I told you to be back by a certain time, but you weren't?"

Harry's brows drew up in confusion as he looked back at him. "Yeah, I lost track of time."

Snape pointed a finger at him and said, "That had better not happen this time. You have until two o'clock and not a minute later. If you are not back inside these rooms by then, I will come find you and I'll levitate you all the way back here. Is that perfectly clear?"

Harry stood up and quickly gave Snape a hug. "Clear. I won't be late. I promise," he said as he quickly headed off in the direction of his bedroom.

Snape looked after him before shaking his head. He wasn't sure when he had gone so soft, but he was entirely sure that it was all Harry "bloody" Potter's fault. 

***

AN: So there's the first chapter!! It's super short, and to be honest, the first 4 chapters are all kind of slow in my opinion, but that's why I'm planning to upload them all today. I feel like it picks up after that. Anyway, tell me what you think! I live for comments :)