Chapter 10

The next morning, Harry and Draco left their bedrooms and came downstairs for breakfast to find Snape sitting at the table.

"Good morning," he said, without lowering the Daily Prophet.

"Morning," the boys replied before taking their seats.

As always, the moment they sat down, the table was laden with food. Sausages, eggs, beans, toast, and jam; all of their favorites.

Once they had filled their plates, Snape dropped the paper and reached for his coffee. "We'll need to leave at noon today," he said before taking a sip. "Remus has pulled me in to helping him with the cake and if we don't get their early, it will never be done on time."

The boys exchanged confused looks over their food before Harry turned to face Snape. "What are you going on about?"

Snape looked at them each in turn, his brows furrowed as if trying to understand what, in fact, they were talking about. "The party, obviously."

Draco nearly spit out his pumpkin juice. "You're going to a party?"

Snape glared at the teen and said, "Well, of course I-" He paused, taking in their truly confused looks and realizing his mistake.

"Forget to tell us something?" Harry asked with a grin.

Snape nodded. "Indeed. With everything going on, I forgot to tell you that my mother is throwing a surprise birthday party for Dad. Today."

Harry and Draco were quiet as they stared at Snape, until finally Draco asked, "And you're going to bake the cake?"

"Apparently," Snape replied.

Draco didn't try to hide his smirk. "This we have to see! Do you even know how to bake a cake?"

When Snape didn't reply, Harry pushed his plate away and said, "You could ask Mrs. Weasley for help."

"I do not need help," Snape said dryly, before picking his paper back up and snapping it straight.

"Are you sure? She wouldn't mi-"

"Or we could just stay home today," Snape interrupted.

"No, no, no," Draco jumped in. "We want to go. Really." He glanced over at Harry who nodded.

"Course we do," Harry said. "But, er, we haven't got any presents for him."

"It's taken care of," Snape replied after a moment. "I'll be waiting by the floo at exactly twelve, and if you're not both there as well, I'll leave without you."

***

Snape hadn't been serious about leaving them behind, of course, but he hadn't told them otherwise, and at noon, sharp, he scooped a handful of floo powder from the vase that sat on the mantle.

"We're coming!" Draco shouted from upstairs.

"Don't you dare leave without us!" Harry echoed seconds before he ran into the parlor.

Draco was right behind him and they skidded to a halt in front of the fireplace.

Snape nodded and gestured for them to get in together. "We're going to Remus's quarters at Hogwarts first. The party is in the Great Hall."

Harry grabbed his own handful of powder and said, "Remus Lupin's quarters at Hogwarts," before dropping it and disappearing in a rush of green flames.

Snape followed immediately, and when he stepped through the fireplace and into his brother's quarters, he was not surprised to see Sirius Black standing in the middle of the room.