𝐕

✦ 𝐒𝐎𝐍 𝐎𝐅 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐒𝐄𝐀 ✦

THURSDAY AFTERNOON, three days after Percy had arrived at Camp Half-Blood, he experienced his first sword-fighting lesson

All members of Cabin Eleven and a few others from other cabins gathered in the big circular arena, anticipating Luke as their instructor.

"Good luck," one of the campers told Percy. "Luke's the best swordsman in the last three hundred years."

"Maybe he'll go easy on me," Percy said.

The camper snorted.

Starting with basic stabbing and slashing, they practiced on straw-stuffed dummies adorned in Greek armor. Percy grasped the techniques well, understanding the moves and showcasing commendable reflexes.

However, a persistent issue persisted – Percy couldn't find a blade that felt right in his hands. Heavy, light, long – none seemed to suit him.

Despite Luke's efforts to find a suitable blade, Percy struggled to connect with any of the practice weapons.

The lesson continued with Luke instructing Percy on thrusts, parries, and shield blocks, delivering each lesson with the sting of the flat of his blade.

Bruised and battered, Percy's awkwardness with the sword persisted.

After a physically demanding session, a much-needed break was called.

The campers swarmed the drinks cooler, and Percy, following Luke's example, poured ice water on his head.

Instantly, he felt rejuvenated, and the sword didn't feel as unwieldy.

As the session progressed to dueling in pairs, Luke announced that he would be Percy's partner for his first time.

"Okay, everybody circle up!" Luke ordered. "If Percy doesn't mind, I want to give you a little demo."

"This is difficult," Luke stressed. "I've had it used against me. No laughing at Percy, now. Most swordsmen have to work years to master this technique."

Luke demonstrated the move on Percy in slow motion. Sure enough, the sword clattered out of his hand.

"Now in real time," Luke said after he'd retrieved his weapon. "We keep sparring until one of us pulls it off. Ready, Percy?"

Percy nodded, and Luke came after him.

Somehow, Percy kept Luke from getting a shot at the hilt of his sword. Percy's senses opened up. He saw Luke's attacks coming. Percy countered. He stepped forward and tried a thrust of his own. Luke deflected it easily, but he saw a change in his face.

Luke's eyes narrowed, and he started to press Percy with more force. The sword grew heavy in his hand. The balance wasn't right.

Percy knew it was only a matter of seconds before Luke took him down, so he figured, What the heck? He tried the disarming maneuver.