Chapter 8

The first thought to come to Xie Lian's mind is White No Face, that presence, that power, and while Xie Lian would never call what the monster felt for him 'love' it was certainly an obsessive interest. His heart pounds. Could this be something like that? Some sick twisted fascination? What else could it be? Unless...

Could it be that Waning Moon is wrong about the tradition? Or maybe he and San Lang, Lord Crimson Rain, have met before after all? Or maybe San Lang has mistaken him for someone else? Or there's some angle that the ghost is playing that Xie Lian can't see yet? Is this a trick? A trap? Another sick obsession?

His thoughts flick between contradicting images, the supreme ghost king wrapped in power towering over his bloody altar, San Lang with his gentle words and soothing touch holding Xie Lian as he cried. Which one is the real ghost king?

'Actually there is one thing. You can stay here until your highness has recovered, not as my prisoner but as my guest.'

'Will you stay?'

The words sounded so sincere. Did he really mean it? Or was it just a manipulation? Would the ghost king really have let him go if he asked?

...Of course he would have.

Xie Lian gives himself a mental shake. The ring. None of his thoughts, twisted up as they have been with the memory of White No Face, are taking into account the ring.

'If I wanted to leave here I could, now. All I'd need to do was walk out of the door. I could even take his ashes and vanish and there's nothing San Lang could do to stop me.'

Or is there? Could the ghost follow him and take the ashes back while he sleeps? How does their power of command work? Are they only affective in the moment? Or can Xie Lian lay a sort of compulsion on the ghost that will bind him even when the god is sleeping or far away?

The thought twists Xie Lian's stomach and he feels suddenly like he's about to vomit. He doesn't want that sort of power, not over San Lang, not over anyone. He's not worthy of it and he can't be trusted with it.

"Your highness, sorry for the interruption." It's San Lang who breaks the silence that's fallen over the room, his shoulders stiff and something that looks almost like panic flickering in his dark eye.

"Who's blood is that?" The question is horribly rude and blunt, but Xie Lian needs to know, needs to understand anything he can about this strange contradictory man. A man who...

"This?" San Lang flicks his fingers casually as though it's beneath his notice but there's something in his tone that speaks, not of ambivalence, but of anger. "No one important, just some worthless fools who called themselves my worshipers."

Xie Lian's eyes widen. "You killed your own followers?"

"They deserved it." This time the ghost king doesn't even try to hide the fury in his voice. It rolls over Xie Lian like a wave powerful enough to break the shore. A memory stirs within him.

'Don't bother running! For what you have done every one of you will scream and bleed and beg his mercy!'

'I have no mercy!'

"They were the ones who tried to sacrifice me weren't they?"

San Lang nods, the flames of all the hells burning in his eye.

"They got what they deserved."

"But why?" Xie Lian finds that he's on his feet staring at San Lang, trying to understand, trying to make any of this make sense. "If they were your followers and they put their faith in you and you accept human sacrifice then..."

"I don't!" The ghost king's words are half way to a shout, his fists clench at his sides, his whole being radiating an anger powerful enough to destroy kingdoms and bring the strongest martial gods to their knees.

For a long moment god and ghost just stare at each other and as their eyes meet Xie Lian thinks he sees what might be anguish flickering beneath the fury. Then San Long lets out a shuddering breath Xie Lian is sure he doesn't need and when he speaks again he seems to have regained at least some of his self-control.

"It's true that I've battled with and even killed cultivators in the past so I believe that's where those fools got their idea about how to win my favor but I do not permit living sacrifices in my name nor do I allow people, living or dead, to be placed on my altars."

His eyes stay locked on Xie Lian and as he speaks he begins stepping toward the god, his steps slow and measured, giving Xie Lian all the time in the world to reach for the ring or back away, but he doesn't and so San Lang continues his approach, moving around the table until he stands right before Xie Lian.

"I understand if your highness can't believe me, considering how we met. I don't blame you for doubting me, but I hope you will still allow me to at least say this."

The ghost king pauses for a moment and then, slowly, he drops to his knees before the disgraced god and bows his head.

"For what was done to you in my name, I won't ask your forgiveness because I know it is unforgivable, but just know that if I could take your place and your pain for myself, then I would."