prologue

"Shit

"Shit." 14 year old Katie Williams cursed as she got out of her mother's car and rushed towards the school. She was late for the fourth time this week. And it was only Tuesday. But this time it wasn't her fault. Her mother, Kendra, almost forgot that she was supposed to bring Katie to school. She had been too caught up in a conversation with Katie's grandmother, Cordelia, that she had lost track of time. Katie's father, John, had already left for work, so he couldn't bring her.

Katie quietly walked into the office to get a late slip from the secretary, Mrs. Appleton. She looked up as she heard the bell ring and sighed once she saw who it was. She began filling out a late slip without giving Katie a second glance. "Katherine, is everything okay at home? You've been late an awful lot lately." She said, handing the slip to the young blonde. Katie nodded, biting her tongue to hold back the distaste for her full name. "Yeah, everything's great." 

It wasn't a lie. Everything was great in the Williams household, although with the amount of hushed conversations Kendra and Cordelia were having lately, Katie was growing more worried. Katie went to turn and leave but Mrs. Appleton cleared her throat. Katie turned back around and saw what was in her hand. A bright pink detention slip. Katie groaned. "Seriously?" She asked. Mrs. Appleton nodded. Katie huffed and took the slip from the secretary's outreached hand before leaving for class.

                                                                                                  ***

Katie walked into the music room where detention was being held. She handed the slip to Mr. Reed, the music and detention teacher before looking around. Four other kids were there. She looked over to the front row where Bobby Shaw and Luke Patterson sat quietly laughing to themselves. Katie shuddered. They couldn't be laughing at her, could they? She tore her eyes away from them before her eyes landed on Alex Mercer. Her chemistry partner. He gave her a small smile and moved his bag so that she could take the seat next to him.

She quickly walked over and sat down while giving Alex a grateful smile. In the back of the class sat Reginald Peters. A lot of people said he was a quiet but troubled kid, but all Katie could see when she looked at him was a kid who seemed too into his own head. Katie almost wanted to reach out and touch him, protect him, almost as if he was like a puppy. Reggie must've caught her looking at him as he gave her a quick wink. The heat rushed to Katie's cheeks and she quickly turned back around.

"Okay, now that you're all here, you better start cleaning. I want this room spotless by the time I come back." Mr. Reed said before leaving. The boys all groaned. "He's seriously gonna make us clean?" Bobby asked, picking up a rag and grabbing a bottle of cleaner. "He can't make us do that." Reggie exclaimed. "Technically, he can. He's the teacher. Plus, I don't wanna be stuck in another detention just because you guys won't do what you're told." Katie said, grabbing a sponge and a bucket before going to wipe down the piano.

"Weren't you late this morning? Again?" Luke asked, giving her a pointed look. "Yes, but that's not the point." Katie huffed. "Jeez, you don't need to get so defensive." Luke said, backing off. "Guys, can we just continue what we're doing?" Alex quietly asked, moving some chairs around. "Yeah." Everyone agreed. They all moved in silence for a while before they all heard a crash. "Sorry." Luke said as they all turned to look at him.

He was standing by the guitars, which he had knocked over, but he was holding one in his hands. He quickly put the strap on before running over to his bag and rummaging through it before pulling out a notebook. He plucked the strings of the guitar a couple times before beginning to play. He gave Bobby a wide grin. Bobby rolled his eyes before picking up a rhythm guitar of his own. He joined Luke in playing the notes off of whatever sheet Luke was looking at.

Katie was still cleaning, beginning to sort through the filing cabinet before a rhythm guitar was held out in front of her. It was Reggie, who had a bass guitar with him. Katie looked up at him. He gestured the rhythm guitar towards her. "I know you play. You're really good." He said, a light pink dusting his cheeks. Katie smiled at him before grabbing the guitar. She was the last one to join them playing, as Alex had sat down at the drums. Luke gestured towards the notes and lyrics on the sheets he had laid out on the piano. He held a mic out towards her as they all got ready to play together.

Katie finished singing while facing Alex. She turned to face the rest of the boys in awe. "Dude, you are an amazing singer!" Luke exclaimed. "I try." Katie joked. "Well, I think we were all pretty great." Bobby said. "Hell yeah we were!" Katie shouted out, a smile on her face. "Woah, guys, what if we make a band?" Reggie suggested, eyes hopeful. Luke snapped his fingers and pointed at him. "Yes!" He turned to look at the others. "Are you guys in?" He asked.

Bobby nodded. Katie looked over at Alex, who also nodded. "Yeah, we're in." She said. "Now, we need a name." Luke said. "We need something edgy, something cool. Alex, any ideas?" The blonde drummer shook his head. Katie looked around the room before her eyes landed on a painting of a sunset on the wall. "Sunset Curve."