iv. i have to at least try

It had been a year and a half since Katie had found out that she was a witch

It had been a year and a half since Katie had found out that she was a witch. In that year and a half, Katie had done nothing but practice her witchcraft, even going so far as to ending up having to graduate a year later than she was supposed to. But also within that year and a half, Katie had travelled all around the world to visit different witch covens that could potentially help her with her goal. The goal she hoped would come true today.

Katie sat down on the floor in front of her bed. The lights were off, but candles were lit up all around the room. She had her spell book in front of her, as well as three different shirts. One of Reggie's, one of Luke's, and one of Alex's. Katie crossed her legs and held her hands out. Purple bursts of magic appeared in her palms and she closed her eyes. She started chanting in the Ancient Latin she had memorized from the textbook, over and over again.

She waited to feel the pull that she was supposed to feel, but it never came. She opened her eyes to see that although the candles were still lit, the three shirts on the floor in front of her hadn't moved. Her heart dropped and her face fell. It didn't work. She had spent all that time preparing for it to work, for the boys to be brought back, only for it to not work. She picked up Reggie's shirt and held it to her chest. Her plan hadn't worked. She couldn't manage to bring them back to life. She wasn't strong enough.

Katie placed Reggie's shirt down with the others and left her bedroom, going to her grandmother's room on the first floor. "Granny." She whispered. Cordelia looked up from where she had enchanted her knitting needles. She saw the crestfallen look on Katie's face. "Oh, dear. It didn't work." She realized. Katie shook her head. Cordelia sighed. "I should've known. It's going to take a long time. Years. Decades. For that spell to be perfected." She started to explain. "It takes years for witches to garner enough power to do that. Sometimes even the greatest witches can't do that."

"But, Granny, I don't have years. By the time I gain that much power, and have trained for that long, I'll be older. But the boys will still be seventeen years old." Katie said. Cordelia sighed once again. "Book!" She called out, and her red spell book appeared in her hands. "There is a spell to help you." She said. Katie knelt down on her knees next to Cordelia's chair. Cordelia flipped through the pages of the book to find the one she was looking for. "Immortality spell." Katie realized. "That way you won't age at all, until they are brought back to life." Cordelia explained. Katie's eyes glowed. "Okay." "Now, it will take me a while to prepare." Cordelia told her. Katie nodded.

                                                                                              ***

"Wait, so you're saying that your grandmother is gonna put a spell on you so that you don't age? Like at all?" Bobby questioned Katie later that afternoon. She nodded. "Isn't it great? I get to be seventeen forever." She exclaimed. "I don't know, Katie. It seems kinda risky." She shook her head. "Bobby, I want them back. I need them back." She said. Bobby sighed. "I want them back too, but not like that." Katie gasped. "I just had an idea." She said, completely ignoring what Bobby just said. "Why don't I get Granny to put the spell on you too?" She asked.

Bobby stopped walking. "Think about it. Then Sunset Curve can be together again." Katie continued. "Bobby?" She asked, realizing he wasn't walking next to her anymore. He shook his head. "We don't need to be Sunset Curve again. We can just be Katie and Bobby." He said. Katie furrowed her eyebrows. "Do you not want me to bring them back?" She asked. "No, I do. It's just-" He trailed off. "Just what?" Katie asked. "I don't wanna live forever." He admitted. "I can love them, and want them back, and still not want that life." He said.

"I want a family, Katie. I can't have that if I live forever." He continued. Katie just looked at him. "Why don't you ask Rose?" Bobby said. Katie shook her head. "No, I can't take her away from Ray." She said. "Exactly. You can't take her away from her future. What about me?" Bobby asked, and stated walking away. "Bobby, I'm sorry!" Katie called out. "I'm sorry that I wanted my best friend with me. But I understand that I can't condemn you to that life." She apologized. "But I'm going to do it. I have to at least try."

                                                                                              ***

"Are you ready?" Cordelia asked Katie that night. She nodded. "Say it." "Yes. I'm ready." Katie stated. "Are you sure?" Cordelia asked. "Completely." Katie said with confidence. Kendra bit her lip in anxiousness as her and John watched from the stairwell. Cordelia grasped Katie's hands in her own. They both closed their eyes and Cordelia started chanting. Katie felt power go through her, something she had never felt before. She felt her whole body tingling, and then all of a sudden, Cordelia let go.

She had fallen back onto the pillows she had placed onto the floor. "Granny?" Katie asked. Although she felt much stronger, her grandmother looked much weaker. "Mom?" Kendra asked, stepping forward. "Katherine, come here." Cordelia whispered. "Closer." She said as Katie leaned down towards her. She grabbed her hands once again. "It's my time. Reach for the stars, my darling, they'll guide you along the way." Cordelia told Katie before she closed her eyes one last time. "Mom?" "Granny?" Cordelia?" Everyone asked. John checked for a pulse. There was none. Cordelia had given her life helping her granddaughter.