Chapter I: ...progress...

Broken Wolf

The Felician Chronicles - Book 2

|

|

By Eastern Wind Wolf

**Thank you to Man in a Trenchcoat for the incredible music!**

Chapter I

"...progress..."

I sat up in the small bed, gasping for air and frantically scanning the room as cold beads of sweat rolled down my bare chest. My heart was pounding, and every few seconds, an uncontrollable shiver wracked my body, forcing my muscles to tense up and driving another shaky breath from my lungs. Swiveling my head sharply to the left, I desperately tried to bring the rest of the room into my broken view.

They were always the same, the nightmares. I'm running away from someone, or something, but I can't see them; I can't see anything. My vision is cloudy, tinged a deep red, and it continues to darken by the second as a constantly thickening veil of blood streams down my face. I try to wipe it from my eyes, but it just keeps flowing, and despite every instinct screaming at me to escape, to find a way out, I can't; I'm blind. Then, as I stumble through the darkness, I'm suddenly met with what feels like a wall, and everything goes silent. I try to listen; I hear footsteps, but they sound like they're coming from all around me. A second later, a sharp, burning sensation pulls the breath from my lungs as a blade is thrust through ribs, and then I wake up.

My panicked heart pounded in my chest as my gaze settled on Kira's empty bed. She was usually there when the nightmares struck to help me through the uncontrollable terror that inevitably followed, but for the past two weeks, she had been gone on a mission to scout further North into the Elari's territory, and her absence was clearly taking its toll.

My instincts were still screaming for me to run, to escape from whatever unseen horror was in the room trying to kill me, but I fought against them. Summoning every ounce of willpower I had, I closed my eyes and tried to picture her face, her amber eyes, and her calm voice.

'deep breaths, Ryder. In, hold, and out. I'm here; you're not alone'

I took a deep, shaky breath in and held it as my body continued to relentlessly quiver. After a few seconds, I released it before repeating the process. My hands were still trembling, but each subsequent repetition slowly worked to calm my pounding heart, and after nearly a dozen breaths, I felt my nerves begin to settle. Slowly, I opened my eyes again; the room was silent.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Dark," I replied as I sat on the operating table in front of Tria. It had been a little over two months since my fight with the warlord, and she had taken it upon herself to personally monitor my recovery.

"Now?" she asked.

"Dark."

I heard her make some adjustments to the device that she was using as I continued to sit silently on the table, waiting for her next prompt.