Meet SG Gardner

1. What inspired you to write Stolen Sign?

Stolen Sign actually came out of an Open Novela Contest prompt from 2021. I don't remember the exact wording of the prompt, but it was something like 'you, a magic-wielder, steal a relic from a powerful magical family.' The rest of the story just sprang up from there. I didn't finish the story in time to qualify for ONC that year, but I'm grateful for the spark of inspiration from that prompt!

2. Without giving too many spoilers, what was the most challenging scene for you to write?

I'd have to say the party scene at the story's climax. The most challenging part of any story for me is the end. Bringing everything together and wrapping up the various plot strings in a satisfying way, and remembering where all the characters are and what they're doing leaves me feeling like I've run a mental marathon. In the same way, it's rewarding to cross the figurative finish line.

3. In the world of Stolen Sign, Crafters wield magical objects called Signs to cast spells. If you were a Crafter, what would your Sign be and why?

In the story, signs channel their owner's magic, which is proportional to their inner ability and talent. So as a writer, I'd hope my sign would be a pen like that of the main character, Sylas. If I had to choose one object to channel creativity, it would have to be a writing implement.

4. You've mentored multiple writers through the Wattys Bootcamp. What was the most rewarding part of participating in the program for you, and what advice do you have for future Bootcamp applicants?

The most rewarding part of the mentorship experience has been how much I've learned from the process. My goal is for my mentee to come away from the experience feeling positive and proud of their work, and with tools they can use on future projects as well. Providing useful feedback is a skill I believe the mentorship experience has helped me to hone, as well as teaching me how to look more critically at my own work.

5. Tell us about the story you're working on right now. What has you especially excited to write it?

My current work-in-progress is called Tides of the Heart, and it's a contemporary LGBT college romance about a paleontology nerd and a surfer. As a paleontology nerd myself, I'm excited to build that into the story and drop in random facts about fossils and deep time while also (hopefully) crafting a fun fluffy romance!

 As a paleontology nerd myself, I'm excited to build that into the story and drop in random facts about fossils and deep time while also (hopefully) crafting a fun fluffy romance!

Huge thanks to OwlieCat for the wonderful interview. With this year's OpenNovellaContest kicking off today, we hope even more writers will be inspired to craft absolutely amazing stories!