Meet Michael Walsh

1. You've been writing on Wattpad for over 8 years. How has your writing changed in that time? What aspects of it have stayed the same?

Yes, it has changed a lot. Until 2015, I had written nothing but nonfiction – technical manuals, catalogues, expedition reports, wine and food columns and feature articles and so on. My first venture into fiction hooked me, and since then, I've been learning the craft and polishing it. What remains the same, though, is the reality-based aspect and the deep research. This mix of reality and fiction seems to be working – I've had stories chosen as Wattpad Editor's Pick, I've won an Amby, and I just had my ONC entry named as a Round One Winner, the third time for this honour in six years. Also, I'm now a Wattpad Creator. 

2. What inspired you to write Hot Potato?

I had ventured into writing a female MC from the first-person PoV with my historical romance, Zeelandia, and buoyed by its success, I wanted to try a contemporary first-person novel using my own experience as a demisexual and aromantic. My background in the restaurant milieu made it a natural choice of setting.

3. If you had to write a spin-off story about any of your characters, who would it be and why?

It would definitely be Gianna because of her free spirit and spunk, despite her adjustment disorder.

4. You have a great deal of experience in the culinary industry, ranging from teaching courses at a culinary institute to writing articles about food and wine for newspapers and magazines. What sparked your love of food and cooking?

My mother was a talented and skilled cook and gardener, and I grew up enjoying the fruits of her creativity. Though never formally trained, she went on to become a cooking, dining and gardening columnist and feature article writer in the newspapers, and it seemed natural to follow her lead.

5. What dish did you most enjoy writing about or wish you could have included in Hot Potato? Feel free to share a picture or a recipe if you'd like!

The seared jumbo scallops Gigi prepared for Dunc. I love simple renditions of great ingredients where technique is critical, and she explained this well to him.

Many thanks to ZonderZorg for the amazing interview! We hope it gives everyone an appetite for his mouthwateringly marvelous stories