STARBOY | 28

THE SOUND OF RUNNING WATER WAS THE FIRST THING CHOI MISO HEARD AS HER EYES FLUTTERED OPEN; A PAINFUL MIGRAINE BECOMING APPARENT AS SHE SLOWLY SAT UP

Confusion was written all over the girls face as she looked around the unfamiliar room, hugging her body close as the coldness of the room hit her skin. Where was she?

She glanced over to where the table and chairs were in the corner of the room and quicker than ever, she felt as if her heart stopped beating as her eyes landed on a familiar leather jacket.

Niki?

Suddenly, the door to the bathroom was opened and all of Miso's questions were answered once she saw the Nishimura boy walk out with damp hair. She was at Niki's place...

Without saying a word, the boy let out a small sigh and headed towards the chair his jacket was on before he picked it up and handed it to her. "You're cold, Doll," He began, noticing her shaking figure. "Put it on."

Hesitantly, Miso did as said and once the item of clothing was on her body, she quickly felt the warmth from the last time Niki had worn it submerge her body, making the goosebumps that once decorated her body vanish.

"We didn't do nothing regretful." Niki reassured, breaking the silence as he sat on the chair and lit the cancer stick that was between his fingers. He was worried the younger girl would get the wrong idea and distance herself completely — and he couldn't have that.

"I know," Miso nodded her head, biting her bottom flip as flashbacks from that night appeared in her head. "I remember."

The girl could feel her cheeks begin to burn as she remembered crying in front of the Greaser and weeping in his arms. She also remembered her confession to the boy and his apology and now, as embarrassment swarmed her veins, she realised she wanted nothing more than to go home. 

"I'm gonna head home." She told the boy, standing up from his bed and making her way over to his door, but before she could leave, Niki stood from his seat and reached out, gently grabbing her wrist, halting her movements.

"I'll walk you." He informed, but Miso shook her head, letting out a sigh as she shook her wrist from his grip. 

"I don't think that's a good idea, Niki." The girl stated, instantly causing an ache to appear in Niki's chest. 

Nevertheless, Niki silently nodded his head, licking his lips as he took a few steps away from Miso. He didn't want to push her into something she wasn't comfortable in. 

Silently, Miso shrugged the boys jacket off of her shoulders, about to return it to Niki, however the boy shook his head. "It's cold out, keep it." He affirmed and Miso reluctantly put the jacket back on and bobbed her head, before she then opened his door and left, leaving Niki to slump his shoulders and stick a cigarette into his mouth. 

The journey home was quiet, almost nobody around to disturb Miso from her deep thoughts. She couldn't get Niki out of her head as she looked down at the dirty floor, kicking stones that came in her way every now and then.