1

Saleah's POV
"You know that you're one of the most famous alumni that we have to this date" the young student interviewing me said into the microphone.

" I am not too sure about that but thank you for the compliment anyway" I laughed as I fixed my dress. I was currently at the homecoming gala for my university, thee Howard University aka the #1 HBCU in the nation. It was a gala for the athletics department and I was happy to attend even though I only played here for a year before turning professional. It was still home to me and I was still an alumni getting my degree online counted.

"She might be the most beautiful alumni too" a deep voice cut in as the student was about to ask her next question. I looked up to see Cash St. James looking down at me with a sly wink.

"Thank you for the compliment as always" I smiled at him "you should interview Cash I think a lot of people will be interested in knowing what Howard's only number draft pick and the first ever defensive tackle to go number one overall is up to nowadays"

With that I walked away looking for my line sister and former doubles partner, Nina Sloane. I found her chatting up another athlete doing her big one so I decided to head to the cash bar instead of interrupting her.

I loved to be in the room with so many top black professionals and athletes. It's something that I missed when I was on the tennis court and in tournaments. Don't get me wrong we have sprinkles here and there but being in a space where it's normal to be black is different. I grabbed my tequila soda sipping as I looked around at everyone mixing and mingling. Dinner should start soon. Hopefully I had a seat toward the back because these heels were killing my feet. I don't feel like walking that far to the front of the room.

"Way to gracefully exit and leave me out there" I heard a familiar deep voice slide in next to me.

I smirked "you have to groom the young minds St. James"

"I groom reporters' minds every weekend unlike you Ms. I don't do interviews" Cash teased me. I rolled my eyes and took a sip out of my drink choosing to ignore him and not further the conversation we have already had. I hated talking to the media. Was it really my fault? They already picked me apart from most tennis publications and ESPN so what was the big deal? I refused to talk to them.

"Carson 'Cash' St. James, I see you found this troublemaker" Nina walked up smiling at us.

"I am not a troublemaker, but I see you took a break from rizzing up ole boy over there to come talk to me" I said, raising an eyebrow.

"He actually is an ex-tennis player here for his company and he asked me if I would help him with a youth camp. So hush" Nina glared at me.

Nina was a self proclaimed man eater so I am surprised that the conversation was more work than play.

"Hey Nina, nice to see you outside of your tennis whites" Cash said as he gave her a side hug.

Nina was currently number nine in the world while I was number 1 on the women's professional tennis circuit, this comes after my recent win at Indian Wells. Nina lost in the third round and suffered a slight ankle injury in round two but I feel like she's going to bounce back better than ever.

"I think you'll be seeing me out of my tennis whites more often now" She smiled. I frowned and looked at her for further explanation. I know that Indian Wells is over but there is still a whole rest for the season to complete.

"I am retiring in a couple weeks, after this last injury I think it's time for me to retire and focus on other things" Nina continued.

"Nina what? Who's going to be my doubles partner if I ever went back to doubles?" I questioned with a smile. I was joking really because I was happy for her. If anyone understood what all she went through it was me. For her tennis was a career she fell into, not necessarily her passion and I respected that.